001

WILDFIRE
chapter one, season seven episode nine

AFTER A DAY OF SOBBING her eyes out, Victoria Shepherd was dragged out to the bar everyone in her hospital drank at: Joe's. She was taking the breakup with Thomas hard, and her friends decided she needed to get out, not be cooped up in her apartment with bad TV. The only thing worse than being dragged to a bar unwillingly, was having inexperienced Cristina Yang bartending and mixing your drinks. Victoria couldn't think of anything she'd rather not see.

Now, Victoria slumped down in a seat, waiting for the new bartender to come around to her and her friends' table, listening to Owen Hunt explain why Cristina was tending bar.

"She sat on the couch for three days straight watching infomercials and eating cereal out of the box, so yeah, yeah, I-I told her to get a job."

Callie Torres deadpanned with an unamused expression, "But you didn't specify what kind."

"Well, I thought she'd go to a lab or the morgue." Hunt defended, shrugging his shoulders. "I didn't expect this."

Derek Shepherd, Vic's older brother, looked at Hunt, "Well, tell her you changed your mind. Tell her she can be a housewife for all you care."

Victoria rolled her eyes at her brother's comment, finding it offensive. "Hey. Female surgeons do not just kick their jobs to the curb just to have a cushy kitchen job and spend their partner's money. The only thing Cristina Yang would be worse at than bartending is housewifing. Thank you very much. If anyone's gonna be the smoking hot housewife, it'll be me."

"You tell 'em, Tor." Mark Sloan nodded at her in solidarity, applauding her from the right of her. "But I have to offer a counter argument...what's so bad about bartending? She's not dancing on a pole."

Everyone looked at him with shocked expressions for his bluntness while Victoria slapped the back of his head. She muttered, "We do not stripper shame in this house." Mark rolled his eyes.

Hunt sighed, "You know, I give this one night. I mean, Cristina Yang of Beverly Hills— she does not enjoy serving people."

On cue, a very peppy Cristina joined their table with a round of mystery blue drinks, slamming the tray on the table. "Alright! I call this the early onset Alzheimer's, because you won't remember anything after you drink it." Victoria started laughing, watching Derek's look of distaste. "To Male Shepherd and his genius brain crap."

Everyone cheered, clinking their glasses together. They tried their drinks, making facial expressions at the flavors. Some liked it, others didn't.

"This is strong." Callie commented, her eyes widening.

Mark looked at the former Cardio resident, "Yeah, I'm gonna need a scotch."

"Yeah, make it two." Derek nodded.

"Babies." Cristina muttered, upset they couldn't handle the drinks she made.

Victoria slammed down her third glass. "Hit me again, Yang!" Everyone looked at her like she was crazy, and Derek looked horrified.

The neurosurgeon turned to Cristina, "Early onset Alzheimer's— you don't think that's a little distasteful?"

Miranda Bailey spoke up from the end of the table, feeling the same way Victoria was. "I think it's delicious."

"Right on, Dr Bailey!" Victoria high-fived the smaller woman before chugging down a forth drink. She needed to feel free, and this was the only way she knew how.

Cristina walked away to tend to a bachelor party, leaving the group to stare at her aimlessly. Boy, was this going to be an exciting night.

. . .