004

WILDFIRE
chapter four, season seven episode fourteen

     FOLLOWING MARK AND LEXIE'S BREAKUP, (the second one), the plastic surgeon was absolutely opining for the one true love he'd ever had in his life. He had prioritized his family not once, but twice. He didn't understand why Lexie couldn't fathom the idea of Mark being a family man. All he wanted was a family. Growing up, he was lonely. His parents were too busy for the only kid they had, and Mark didn't want his kids to feel neglected like he did. Sloan Riley and the new baby brewing in Victoria's uterus was a real eye-opener for him, after all. He wanted a chance to prove he was more than how strangers perceived him: too hot and bothered.

But now, it was looking like his chances of being a father were slim to none.

"You guys cannot stop me, and that is final."

"I'm the father!" Mark shouted.

"And I'm your boyfriend!" Thomas shouted, to which Victoria shot him a dirty look. "Well, we haven't really talked out the details yet, but...I'm a major part of your life, and I wanna be in the baby's life, Tori!"

"I don't care what either of you guys are, I am having an abortion. I'm not interested in bringing a child into this world where sick people get shot down by gun-mans in hospitals and innocent children die everyday because of tragic accidents. So sue me, but I don't think you'd want to go through nine months of discomfort and pain just go through more pain of the daily struggles of 'will my child come home from preschool alive today'?" Victoria raised her voice at the men, pulling her purse over her shoulder after putting on her coat. "Today is the one day I've had off to process all this since I found out. I'm going to go get an oil change, my car inspected, and then I am going to my appointment at the local Planned Parenthood. This is not up for discussion. I am doing this, and neither of you can stop me."

The brunette grabbed her keys from the hook, opening the door and slamming it behind her.

"You're just gonna let her go?" Mark raised his voice at Thomas. "That's my kid!"

Thomas ran a hand through his hair, tossing his head back as he made a noise of aggravation. "She's made up her mind, Sloan. She's a stubborn woman, and you know that."

. . .

AT AROUND NOON, THOMAS APPROACHED Mark in the ER, wrapping his stethoscope around his neck. "You paged me?"

"I said page anyone but Matthews." Mark sternly remarked to an intern nearby. "Don't you ever listen?"

"Come on, don't terrorize the interns." Thomas sighed, redirecting the plastic surgeon to the patient a few feet away. "What do you need?"

"Nothing from you." Mark mumbled, looking down at the patient's charts.

"Look, I get it." The inch-taller man scoffed, pulling Mark off to the side, away from patients. "I suck. I hurt Tori and she never wants to be with me again. Can you just drop it? It's none of your business. This is becoming unprofessional and you know it. I don't want to have to bring this to Richard. Tell me about our damn patient already."

The plastic surgeon mumbled something incoherent, practically shoving the chart to Thomas' chest as they walked over to their patient.

. . .

DRIVING DOWN BAY BOULEVARD, TORI felt her phone buzz in her back pocket. She had just finished getting all her errands done, and she was ready to go to Planned Parenthood.