Chapter 1

I live in the woods. Ah yes. The woods. A wonderful place to live. Well, maybe not too wonderful for a human. Which I am. But, the wood is a wonderful place for me. I live in a big beautiful oak tree that has lots of branches. When you climb up to the highest branch you can see everything. Sometimes, if you're really really careful, you can see Elves riding their horses, or shooting their bows at wild rabbits. I don't live too far from the Elves, but they don't know I live here.

I was laying about in the branches of my tree, my flower crown atop of my long red orange hair, my weather washed white dress, playing with the bugs. It was starting to get late.

"I'm telling you, Gandalf. We need to stop." I heard a man say. He had a deep voice. Which frighten me a bit. I peeked over my branch. It wasn't a man! It was a dwarf! Multiple! And what looked like a wizard and a really short man.

"Okay, Thorin." The wizard said. "We'll bunk here for the night." He tapped the trunk of my tree. I barely moved, and they all looked up at me.

"Dori, go see what that was." The wizard said in a hushed tone. I climbed up more, but my foot got caught in a branch. By the time I got my foot un stuck, the dwarf was almost at me. Almost at the top and I slipped and fell. As I was falling I let out a scream.

"Somebody catch her!" The short man exclaimed. Just as I was nearing the ground, a dwarf caught me.

"Put me down!!" I yelled, hitting his chest and trying to get out of his arms. He let out a loud belly laugh and placed me down. I turned and ran behind my tree.

"We are so sorry." The wizard said, coming close to the tree. "We were just-"

"Wanting a place to stay for the night! I know! Go stay with the elves!" I exclaimed, climbing back up. "They aren't to far from here!"

"We can't exactly stay with the elves, my dear." The wizard started. "Can we stay with you? Just for the night. We can get you anything you need or want." He asked, placing his hand on the tree.

"Only if you can get me some fresh fish and some berries!" I yelled from my branch.

"Fili, Kili, go get her some fish and berries." A dwarf said. Two dwarves nodded and ran down to the stream.

"Might I ask, what is your name?" The wizard looked up at me.

"First tell me your names." I pointed down at the group.

"Now, I asked you first." The wizard smiled.

"Coryander."

"Like the spice?" The short man asked.

"Yes! Like the spice!" I yelled. "Now names!"

"Oh. Yes. My name's Gandalf the Grey." The wizard bowed. Then he nudged the short man.

"Oh. Uh. Bilbo. Bilbo Baggins." He nodded up at me.

"Thorin Oakensheild, at your service. And my nephews Fili and Kili went to get you your fish." All of the dwarves introduced themselves. Nori, Dori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bombur, Bofur, Bifur, Balin and Dwalin.

"A lot of names." I said, climbing back down. "Sorry I hit you." I looked shyly at Dori. He didn't say anything, just nodded. Moments later, the two dwarves, Fili and Kili, came back, with lots of fish and berries.

"Thank you. You can stay." I smiled, taking the fish and berries into the trunk of my tree.

"My dear, why do you live in a tree?" Gandalf asked, looking down at me,

"It's my home. Never really lived in an actual house." I said, getting some fallen sticks to make a fire.

"Do you have protection? Like a sword. Or dagger." A dwarf asked, looking at me.

"No! I don't need a sword. Or a dagger! I can protect myself with the resources I have." I said, making a teepee for my fire.

"You live this close to the elves and you don't have a sword?"

"I don't need one. If I don't bug them, they don't bug me. They don't know I live here." I said, blowing into my smoke to start my fire.

"You're one risky lady." Thorin said.

"Mm. I just know how to be careful." I smiled, grabbing a fish. "Can I use a knife for a second?" I looked up at the dwarves. Kili moved his cloak and grabbed a knife and handed it to me. "Thank you." I smiled and started to filet it. The dwarves looked at me with a dumbfounded look.

"What?" I smiled, going into my tree trunk and grabbing a cast iron pan. I sat back down on the ground and started to cook my fish.

"Want any?" I asked, putting some berries into the pan.

"Oh. Uh, yes please!" Bilbo exclaimed.

"Alright. Grab a big leaf." I smiled. "Get me one to please." Blibo nodded and went to find two leaves. He placed both of them on the large stone. I took the fish and put it on the leaves.

"Your dwarf friends are weird." I said, looking at the dwarves. They just stood there like they haven't seen a lady cook fish!

"It's been a long day." Bilbo shrugged, eating his berries. I nodded. The dwarves eventually grabbed a leaf and put some food on it and ate.

"So, we're are you guys off to?" I asked, throwing the leaves into the stream.

"Oh. Nowhere." Thorin said.

"Okay. Well, I better be off to bed. You can stay down here if you want." I said, climbing up to my branch.

"Thank you, Miss. Coryander ." Bilbo said.

"You're welcome, Mr. Baggins." I said, climbing under my blanket. I heard the dwarves talk and sing, and that slowly put me to sleep.