Chapter 3: Confession

"The end may come in a million years, or tomorrow. Regardless of when that may be, wouldn't you want to die knowing you did the best you could?" - Reynsla

Problems are a daily part of everyone's life. Most people come across trouble involuntarily, some go out looking for it,  while for others, well, trouble just seems to love knocking at their door. 

*Knock knock* "Yulia. For fuck's sake. I just want to have a chat with Sakura!" Said Yuuto in a calm yet slightly frustrated tone after getting the door shut in his face by Yulia. Her silence was his answer. "Come on! If I wanted to harm her I would have done so a long ass time ago!" 

His relatively calm tone was increasingly getting louder until he was close to yelling. But Yulia was having none of it. "After everything that happened to just come knocking at our door. The last thing we need is another fight." She thought to herself. 

The sound of Sakura's steps interrupted her train of thought. 

"It's fine". Sakura said in her gentle, high-pitched voice. "I do not think he is here to cause harm. He is no saint. That much is for sure. But he is a gentler soul than you may think." 

Sakura's words were not enough to sway Yulia's worries. But she ultimately had to step aside, for she thought that who was she, to meddle in other people's affairs? 

Yuuto was about ready to take a step back, but then he saw the door getting opened and his eyes lit up when he saw Sakura. 

"Good morning, Yuuto." She said with a formal tone that many would consider a distant one, as if she was trying to maintain a certain distance between them. But her demeanor remained calm.

"Hey there." He uttered, somewhat nervously. "What brings you here?" "Could I talk to you in private for a minute?" 

She did not fear him, nor did she think he came with any ill intentions. But the first time in a long time, she thought she suddenly wasn't able to comprehend what was going on inside his head, which was somewhat unsettling. 

She closed the door behind her and followed outside where the others wouldn't be able to eavesdrop on them. 

"Well, what in the world were you thinking? What was that all about?" She now said with a severely less calm demeanor, and a whole lot more confusion, possibly due to the absence of Yulia. 

"You mean knocking you out?" "Yes, I mean fucking knocking me out, and getting me out in the world!" 

"I understand you maybe did it for me." She continued talking with frustration and confusion, before Yuuto had a chance to respond. "But you know they are going to kill my family for this, you do. They won't just let this go." And tears started falling down her face as the thought came closer to becoming a reality. 

"Sakura." He stated calmly. "My father is dead." 

And just like that, a mixture of emotions overflowed her. Pain, sadness, joy, relief, guilt. 

Pain and sadness, for she knew that despite his wicked nature, Hideki was loved and looked up to by Yuuto, and he always aspired for his approval.

Joy and relief, for she knew the patriarch's death severely increased the odds of her family being let of the hook. 

Guilt, for gaining any joy during Yuuto's grieving. 

That wave of emotions swept by her for several seconds, for the duration of which both parties were silent. 

"Yuuto, I'm so sorry." She sorrowfully said. "No, you are not. But I understand." He replied stoically, seemingly without being severely affected by the recent events; a common behavior for Yakuza higher ups.