Chapter 23

Opening presents in front of people was always a little awkward. For someone who didn’t enjoy having all eyes on me, it could be intimidating. Add that to the pressure of having the reaction that the gift giver intended you to have and you have yourself a nightmare. Through the whole activity, my cheeks remained tinted red and an uncomfortable smile latched onto my face until it hurt. 

Everyone was gathered in the living room to watch me open my gifts. They sat on the couch and the surrounding seats while I sat opposite them on a chair dragged from the dinner table. It made me feel as though I was on a stage. 

“Open ours first!” Julio exclaimed, pointing to a gift wrapped box. Written on the wrapping paper was his name along with his parents. He watched with anticipation as I grabbed a hold of it, a proud smile already on his face. It made me think that he had more to do with the selection of my present than he had in previous years. 

I peeled back the green wrapping paper to find a cardboard box. I unfolded the flaps to find a dark red sweatshirt and a matching pair of socks. I was grateful but didn't think much of it until I saw the words written across the sweatshirt’s front and the symbol on the socks. 

Centerview University with a crescent moon symbol. 

I sucked in a breath. My online university was not like a traditional college in many ways. Aside from the obvious differences, it didn’t sell merchandise. 

“We know you felt kind of left out because you never went away for college and didn’t get to have certain experiences,” Tìo explained. “We hoped this would make it a little better.” 

It did. I did often wonder what it would have been like to complete my degree in a dorm surrounded by my roommates instead of in my bedroom on a random Wednesday night. 

This merchandise was like having a piece of that missed experience back. Years from now I could casually throw on my hoodie from college like everyone else did. 

Whatever resentment I had brewing in me because of the secrets my family was keeping simmered down. The gift had demonstrated there was a glimmer of understanding somewhere in them. To some capacity, they knew that I often felt caged or like I was missing out. Maybe a part of them felt bad for the part they had to play in that. Perhaps they were trying to make up for it. 

Julio was practically bouncing in his seat. It was the most excited I’d seen him since before the wedding.

“I had to go on a site and design them both myself,” he said.  

“It’s awesome. Thank you,” I said, not having to exaggerate a reaction for his happiness. He really had blown me away with the gift. 

My sister gave me a gift card to my favorite restaurant and Kimberly gave me a cute set of earrings saying she had grown tired of my simple gold hoops. 

In the box Vincent brought me was a wireless mouse. He explained that he saw me struggling with the mousepad on my laptop while I work. It made me laugh because I had been struggling with my mousepad but it had only been one time when we sat at the cafe together with our laptops out. I supposed it was in his nature and part of his job, to notice the little things. It equated to him being a good gift giver. The gift was also practical, just like him. 

Darren gave me a weighted blanket. He explained his process in deciding what to get me in great detail, enrapturing the room in his tale. Enrapturing all except for Vincent and Kimberly. Kimberly was biting her nails. She never bit her nails unless she was so deep in thought she didn't realize what she was doing. She hated how bitten nails looked and often got hers done. Right then, she was biting on her acrylics. Vincent, who was also seated to the side of everyone, had his gaze searching the house, scanning every decoration like it was important.