Chapter 26

My next meeting with Vincent couldn't come sooner. I was dying to know what he was thinking after having dinner with my family. I also wanted to know why he had been asking those questions about Darren. He must have had some theory or seen something that made Darren interesting to the case. I wanted to know what. I wanted to know how bad it was. 

Speaking of Darren, he texted me to let me know he wanted to meet up and go thrifting for some new work shirts. I had to remind him I had a meeting with my coworker. He took this news poorly, sending a sad face and asking if he could pick me up afterwards even if it was just to drop me off at home. It was not an odd thing for him to ask. Darren usually looked for any excuse to see me, not caring if the occasion lasted only a few minutes. It was what I found sweet about him when we first started going out.

However, I didn’t like the idea of Darren and Vincent’s paths crossing again. I didn’t like the idea of any of my family members crossing Vincents anymore. I wouldn't like it until I knew none of my family members were at risk of being incriminated. 

We sat across from each other at the waffle house Kimberly and I had taken him to weeks ago. He mentioned he had been thinking about the waffles he had there ever since so I suggested we go again. We had already exchanged greetings and fallen into silence. I kept perusing the menu even though I had already decided what I wanted to order and inhaled the smell of maple syrup. 

“I know you’ve been thinking about what I said after your birthday party,” he said, letting his menu drop to the table as he suddenly spoke. 

I kept mine up, the black font blurring in my vision from staring at it for so long. “I don’t know what you want me to do with the information you gave me.” 

“Nothing. It was probably nothing. I just have to check all my boxes.” 

I sat back into the cushion of the booth, the foam letting out a hiss against my weight. A server rushed past us and the silence between us was punctuated by the clattering of dishes and glass cups. 

Vincent reached over the table and lowered my menu for me. It was harder to stay distant and reserved when I was looking at him. His features were far too soft to distrust. 

“Is there anything you want to tell me that you think will help with the investigation?” he asked.  

I didn't want to be honest. In fact, maybe if he hadn't asked I would have been able to keep everything I had heard to myself and use the excuse of having forgotten. But now that he had asked, I couldn't withhold this from him. 

With my stomach twisting into knots, I replied, “My cousin Julio said he heard Darren’s name tossed around by the kids that deal drugs at his school.” 

Vincent didn't light up in glee at my admission, which made me feel a little better. Instead, he took out a notepad and prepared to jot down what I said. 

"In what context?” 

I shrugged. “I don’t know.” 

"Did Adonis and Darren ever fight?," he asked, taking the conversation down a path I didn't think it was heading. It sounded like he was trying to get at the two of them working together before. Now, he was getting at them fighting. Either way, he was linking Darren to the drug trafficking. 

I thought about the question, twirling my black strands of hair around my finger. 

There was only one memory I had of them where the tension between them was palpable. It could be cut through with a knife. 

A disagreement had broken out between our double date group. 

Earlier in the week, I had been arguing with my aunt and uncle about going on a trip. For months I had been planning this trip out. I wanted to go to a National Park in California to see the Giant Sequoia trees. I had my license and all I needed was to borrow one of the cars. My aunt and uncle didn't like the idea of me going across the country alone. They wanted at least one person to go with me but the two of them had work and so did Nancy. Darren couldn't take off because he had some super important meetings coming up. I thought that was all the more reason I should have just went on my own but everyone seemed to agree I had to reschedule the trip for a time where someone could accompany me.