Chapter Twelve: Far Below

Beyond the final crest of the final mountain, in the far distance, only barely visible, hidden behind a sheet of clouds, was Sky City. Ben starred in complete awe, finally able to realize a lifelong dream of his, while Fred and Wade looked in their own simple amazement. They knew it would be magical, but neither thought it would be so magnificent, so big, or so far up. You could climb halfway up a mountain and still not be level to it. They wondered what could cause such a thing, what kept the city afloat, but knew the answer was unanswerable itself. It was an ancient magic that simply existed in their time.

Along with awe, there was a shudder of relief that ran through them at the sight of the city. The journey to this moment had been long and hard. All three had wondered at one point or another along the way whether it would even be worth it–that Sky City had been exaggerated.

But it hadn't.

"Woah..." they murmured in unison.

Tilda, who'd seen it before many times, smirked at the amazement they had in their eyes, and she even had some of her own regardless. It was certainly not something one could grow used to, no matter how many times you saw it.

In the expanse of flat land underneath the city, a town could be seen below. Confused, Wade pulled his map out.

"There isn't supposed to be a town under the city," he commented. "Especially not one that size."

Although hard to tell at a distance, it appeared the town was quite large, larger than Ariel even. The buildings, unlike the nice, gold road, were quite flimsy, frail, and temporary looking.

"That is Sky City," Tilda said, pointing at the town on the ground. "At least what's left of it. When the city fell, everyone fled to different parts of the kingdom you see—even the king and queen—but some stayed. They just couldn't leave their home I suppose. They made up those temporary shacks you see there, expecting their powers to come back one day soon. Been waiting ever since."

With a sudden jolt, the carriage came to an abrupt stop as Tilda pulled hard on the reins. Ben barely managed to stop from flying off into the horses' rear with the sudden motion, by gripping tightly the wooden railing in front of him. The sound of Wade and Fred crashing into each other could be heard clearly in the back.

"What is it?" Ben asked Tilda.

"This is my stop."

"You're not taking us the rest of the way?" Fred asked as she struggled to stand.

Her face, as she did, appeared green with nausea. Though, it was not nearly as ill-looking as Wade's, who appeared on the verge of being sick.

"No..." Tilda replied, a nervous quiver in her voice. "I do wish you the best though. I truly do."

"We understand," Ben said politely. "You get back to your kids and let us handle this. We can't begin to express how much we appreciate it."

"For you... anytime."

A little shakily, Ben hopped off his seat on the carriage. After riding for so long, the solid road at his feet felt like it was vibrating, and his legs moaned with discomfort. The thought of flying and removing this stress of gravity seemed lovely, but Ben waited to do it another time.

Fred lowered herself from the back of the carriage, and despite her skills with balance from being a warrior, managed only barely to land without falling. She reached up to take Wade's hand and helped him down as well.

"Oh god..." Wade muttered, holding his stomach once Fred had lifted him off. "I don't feel so good."

"It's just like being seasick," Fred said. "You don't get sick then, do you? That'd be kind of ironic."