Chapter Sixteen: Origins

With the toe of her boot, Fred kicked the gold and white armor on the marble steps. The chest-plate rings hollow, with nothing, not even a rogue feather inside.

"What do you think happened to him?" she asked Ben.

Distracted by the light and beauty of the core, Ben gently ran his hand over the smooth, and now warm glass. He turned to look at the empty armor Fred referred to.

"I'm not sure. But whatever magic Viktor Krane used to create him must have disintegrated the second the core's energy relit."

Ben notices he had used Emperor Krane's full name, and it surprised him. He supposed the fear that's always been in him about this faceless enemy he'd have to face one day, was somewhat faded. Victor Krane, this once unstoppable figure, seemed a mere person now.

Holding the handle of his sword, safely sheathed at his side, Ben turned to look at Fred. She'd come through in the end, and he was happy to have her with him now. There's something about her, hidden under that warrior's bravado. She cared deeply for him and Wade, and their friendship had really grown into one built upon trust and loyalty to each other.

"We better fly down to the town. They might need us."

He was more than reluctant to leave this place, which now seemed to glow with energy.

Kicking the armor on the ground one more time, this time firmly to show who truly won the fight, Fred nodded. Running out of the core room, down the grand hall, and out into the street, Ben and Fred could hardly feel the weight of all they'd done. They too felt revitalized, as though this energy from the core that had given new life to the city was also a healing whisper into them.

"I can't believe how refreshed I feel," Fred said.

"It's the core," Ben replied, taking in a deep breath. "It must have regenerative powers that clean the air and relax the body."

Fred shot him a look, wondering how he could possibly know that. Indeed, it was not something he'd read in a book or heard from a story, but just a feeling deep down.

"Don't ask..." he chuckled. "Somehow, I just know."

The sun shone brightly this high, and the cold temperatures that haunted Fred once were gone. The wind was persistent, but gentle again, and birds could be heard in the distance—falcons, whose cries were far more natural and vitalizing than the guardian's had been.

It was a pleasing paradise.

And as they soaked it in, about to run back to the landing platform and fly down below to help the others, shadows formed on the streets. Following them with their eyes, Ben and Fred saw dots of black rising from the platform in the far off in the distance, against the background of the bright sun. The shadows became figures as they came closer, and Ben and Fred raised their hands in the air triumphantly and ran towards them.

Men and women brandishing swords, shields, and axes flew up and landed on the street softly, complete wonderment written across their dirty, battle-worn faces. They saw Ben and Fred approaching and cheered. Kurt appeared among the throng and let his passenger, the only one among them who could not fly, go from his hands.

"You guys!" Wade yelled as he released his grip from Kurt and ran to meet them halfway.

"Wade!" Ben and Fred yelled simultaneously.

Holding his shoulder, Ben grabs his friend and hugged him tightly.

"You did it!" Wade said. You actually did it!"

"Of course we did," Fred said, grabbing him as well and giving him a deep, quick hug.

Wade's eyes closed ever-so-slightly at the embrace, opening again with a smile a moment after.