Chapter Fourteen: Sky City

As Ben, Wade, and Fred escaped, above ground a war stirred. Outnumbered, but not outwilled, the rebels had made their move. For fourteen years their numbers had grown. What started out as small, tactical skirmishes, from small resistances that had spread throughout the kingdom, had grown and united something Emperor Krane could never have predicted. These bands of rebels, a minor nuisance at best, known mostly for attacking Imperial soldier supply caravans on and off, had become a full-blown revolution. Years of division had fallen away to unity, and all it had taken was a rumor–a rumor that turned out to be true, of a boy who'd become the new Elementalist.

Running out the doors of the Imperial building above the dungeon, the trio melded into a swarm of soldiers and rebels. The dungeon, apparently towards the center of the town, was underneath the base for Imperial soldiers, and as such, was where most of them were. Perhaps two thousand in number, the soldiers had been swarmed from all sides by fearless rebels. Elbow to elbow, the streets had become a warzone.

Imperial soldiers tended to have the numerical advantage over large, open areas, and knowing this, the rebels had made sure to focus the fighting in the narrow alleyways and cluttered buildings of the town center. In this, the battle became chaotic, taking away the Imperial army's ability to organize and use proper tactics.

As they bled into the fighting, Fred took no time to spin her daggers, and joined the fight, clearing Imperial soldiers out of the way for the rest of the rebels to exit the building. Wade, without much skill, but overflowing with confidence, was right behind her, swinging his sword maniacally at any soldier that crossed his path.

"Where's the tower?" Ben asked Kurt.

Pointing right, he showed Ben, who was happy to see that it was not far away. Kurt left to join the rebels to fight for his town, and Ben followed.

"You'd better hurry!" Justin yelled at Ben as he stared up at the tower. "Having our powers would definitely make this a much easier fight."

Nodding, Ben looked across the throng of people to find his friends. Spotting them, he lifted himself from the ground and flew over the heads of everyone in the way. There was a pop as he kicked a soldier in the head and landed next to Fred and Wade.

"Time to go," Ben said.

Fred and Wade nodded at him, their backs pressed against each other.

"I don't think I can carry both of you up!" Ben yelled over the cries and clinks around him. "Only one."

"Fred should go," Wade said immediately.

She parried an attack, countered, and then looked back at him.

"You really should," Wade repeats. "Let's face it, I'm no fighter. And I doubt this guardian's weakness is my bitter sarcasm. Now, go!"

"You'll be okay?" Fred asked with worry.

"He'll be fine," Kurt said as he joined them, Justin at his back. "He's better than he thinks. And we could use the help."

"Alright." Fred turned to Ben.

Sheathing her daggers in her boots, she waited for him to wrap his hand around her waist.

"Ready?" he asked, doing just that.

"No," she replied, her fear of heights coming back to her. "But I guess I'll get over it really quick."

Holding tight, Ben pushed himself from the ground. Dirt flew as he was launched upwards, towards the top of the tower. After weeks of using these powers, even in a limited fashion, he'd become much more powerful with his takeoffs and confident in his landings.