01 ;; ʰᵒᵐᵉ

【 ❛ home is where the heart is.❜ 】
~ pliny the elder

"[name]! come here for a second, kid!" a gruff voice called out at the direction of your 9 year old self as you walked by

"[name]! come here for a second, kid!" a gruff voice called out at the direction of your 9 year old self as you walked by. you nodded, turning around and walking in their direction.

your eyes widened a bit as you saw a beat up man beside an angry brothel keeper.

"[name] dear, can you please tell me if this man is lying or not?" the brothel keeper asked as she tightened her hold on the kneeling man.

he stiffened as you let out a hum, silently looking at his expression.

there's no need for my help to confirm if this man is lying or not. its pretty obvious, honestly, you thought, but if madam, wants me to confirm it, then. . .

you strained your ears, hearing the man's fast heartbeat. he's lying, but what for?

"what did he do, madam?" you took the time to ask.

she scoffed condescendingly at him, "this bastard has the nerve to lie to me, saying he didn't steal the money! oh but he did, he did and i'm sure of it!"

nodding in understanding, you looked down at the kneeling man who only shook his head at you, heartbeat growing even faster.

"he's lying, madam. he did steal the money from you," you finally said, after a few seconds of silence. the woman laughed gleefully at your answer as the man's body trembled even more.

with a loud shout, she ordered the man to be taken away. she then turned to you, a pleasant smile plastered on her face. "thank you so much for helping me, my dear. how much?" she asked.

you hummed thoughtfully, hand under your chin. "a pouch of money will suffice, if you have that, madam," you decided.

she reached out to her pocket, pulling out a pouch and handing it to you. you accepted it, bowing your head as you did so. "thank you madam," you said.

she waved you off, chuckling nonchalantly. "my my, deary! your politeness will make people swoon! pair that with your handsome and beautiful features, you'll rake in a lot of customers!" madam exclaimed, "and a lot of customers means lots of money! isn't that what you want?"

you shook your head, "i appreciate the thought madam, but i'm content with only helping the people around here."

she sighed, disappointed by your answer. "alright, if you say so. off you go now then!"

you bowed again, leaving as she waved at you, ignoring the stares directed behind your back.

jiggling the coins in your pouch and in your pocket, you smiled, content by your earnings. this will help lessen our financial problems a bit, you thought, and if there is some left, i can buy sister a new scarf, or medicine!