04 ;; ᵗʷᵒ ᵇᶦʳᵈˢ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᶠᵉᵃᵗʰᵉʳ. . .

【 say that they're always gonna stay together. . . but one's never going to let go of that wire. .  . she says that she will, but she's just a liar. . .】
~ TWO BIRDS ;; regina spektor

you remember your mother telling you a story, once; when you were still a small, growing child, curious and naive about the world around them

she would tell you a tale about man-eating demons; beings — no, monsters — who come out at night to ravish on human flesh, taking sick joy in causing pain and destruction in their wake.

"mother, do they ever regret what they have done?"

you remember asking.

your mother chuckled, patting your head as you laid in her lap.

"no, my sweet child. . . no they do not. . ."

for demons are nothing but remorseless monsters, harbingers of destruction and anguish, and tormented souls damned to hell; incapable of feeling as their last shreds of humanity are merely erased by their hideous, ruthless creator.

you hate it when your mother tells you that tale. it always did gave you nightmares.

━━━━━

a sick grin was present on the face of this — this monster — as blood oozed endlessly from its deformed face. it brought out its long tongue, licking the scarlet liquid as you turned around, breathing heavily as you watched on in terror.

"you know, i've always believed that meals should come in three's," the man (can you even call this horrid thing a man?) started, bringing up his arms and putting his hands on his face.

you stayed silent, mouth trembling as you noticed something bulky and. . . and round behind him, leaking out with something. for some reason, you can't help but think it was. . . familiar.

it only took you a few seconds for the reason to dawn on you as the demon turned his body and the moonlight shone its alluring light on your dear mother's pale face, showing what she had felt during last moments without you: her mouth open to a silent scream as your eyes blurred when they met your mother's (they were beautiful, beautiful and full of life and love for you and your sister, now they're dead and full of fear and terror—)

you choked, hand reaching out and clenching shakily at your mother's direction as your hearing started going useless when a piercing noise took over it, lips opening and closing as it shuddered with your entire body. salty tears started to blur your vision as you took in the sight of your mother, uncaring about the demon as he started to cackle in a mad manner, holding his face in his hands as he heaved for air.