Chapter 21 - Goodbye?

Paris hissed at the sudden burning sensation that erupted after her thump abruptly made contact with the brewing kettle for her morning coffee; she winced slightly as the burning sensibilities soothed gradually.

Julian watched her with a nonchalant expression, but fervency at the thought of the future possibility of more accidental burns to Paris excited him. Not wanting to linger in the corner anymore, he quietly approached Paris near the kitchen island.

"Are you okay?" He asks with a frown as if her pain worried him.

Paris abruptly turns around at his startling presence as she was little expecting him for the day, after her silent treatment towards him for three days constant - looking at him was traumatic enough for her from the beginning, but she was getting accustomed to it, but after witnessing Julian and Ruby together was insufferable: a perpetual reminder of his betrayal.

Why would he lie to me? She kept wondering, even after the question suffocated her.

There was no possible or genuine explanation for his actions as he clearly proved to be hiding something: Something that could harm and reshape their relationship soon drastically; Julian couldn't hide the truth forever; neither was he planning to do so.

Paris avoided looking at his dark, almost rheumy eyes; unlike him, Paris actually felt guilty for ever hiring Jordan and lying to him. His every deceitful lie had a reason to cover the truth, no matter how much irrelevant move that was. But Paris labeled him untrustworthy for ever supporting the background check upon him. He wasn't just an acknowledged person to her anymore, but he unknowingly became a companion when she felt alone.

She nodded and continued to wash the burned part of her thump. Guilt bought the nervousness, as if she had sinned, but she soon recognized the fear; fear of Julian learning about her betrayal, and the slight panic rose in her pit. He had no shame for lying to her as he had already revealed the reason for it, but she would have no relevant logical explanation for her actions when the time would come for that.

"Let me help." He said and moved near her as she breathed more intently the slower he neared her as if he was asking for her permission.

Before Paris could respond, the ringing halted them both. Paris realized how intensively she was breathing just a moment ago before the call startled her.

Julian watched her with scrutinized gaze, questioning the early morning unknown caller.

Paris puffs at the caller-id before excusing herself away from the questioning stare. She quickly invaded the backyard garden where she could make sure Julian wouldn't eavesdrop on her, and he didn't.

"Hello?" She asked and waited.

"Good morning, Paris." A familiar hoarse sound greeted. Paris sighs, but panic still strikes her.

"Morning, McAvoy."

"How are you doing? Any trouble yet?" Jordan sincerely inquired.

"No," Paris responded skeptically, "Why? Is there any trouble to come? Should I be counting on it?" Husky laughter of Jordan echoed in her ear.

"You live with trouble." He answered. Paris could deduce that Jordan sounded tired, but she couldn't understand his sudden cause of joy. It was just his affable personality that made him easy to talk with him.

"What does that mean?" She asked before making sure that no one could hear her talking. "Did you find something on Julian?"

"Are you hoping?" Paris stiffened. "Did you change your mind about Julian, somehow Paris?"