Chapter 7 || My Brother Is Going to Kill Me

The bathrooms were down a hallway, leading to the back of the tavern. After finishing up, I washed my hands and reached for the paper towels when it happened.

Ouch.

A small thorn stuck between the towels had pierced the skin on my ring finger. Cursing at my bad luck, I quickly pulled it out. When I looked up, my tired reflection greeted me from one of the bathroom mirrors. Nothing seemed to go right this day. My grey eyes looked wary, and my skin was pale. I hadn't even brushed my hair today. I sighed, trying to comb my fingers through the long strands but eventually gave up.

Not exactly pretty.

Not that it mattered, considering the situation I was in. I splashed some water on my face when the door opened and a tall woman entered. She was part of the couple that had come in earlier.

Her long strawberry blonde hair was braided tightly to one side. She wore heavy make-up plus tight fitted leather pants coupled with a dark, over-sized jacket. I gave her a quick nod in greeting as I moved to step around her.

"Your boyfriend seems cute. Quite the catch you got there," she said out of nowhere.

I frowned at her apparent misconception but didn't speak up to correct her. I could feel the tiredness creeping up on me again, so I just mumbled a quick thanks and reached for the handle. As I opened the door, I noticed thin vines decorated with small, colorful petals running along the walls.

Have they always been there?

Something was off. I stumbled a bit as I walked out.

"Oh, dear don't fall now." The woman tried to grab me, but I dodged her. Her green eyes were gleaming in a strange light.

Wait, that's not...

I realized it at the last second. I reached for my magic and a gust of wind erupted around me flinging back the vines that had been creeping up on me from all sides. It was too late though. My right hand was gripping the wall trying to keep me steady as I fought the dizziness that was taking over my body.

Of all things, it had to be fucking plant magic. I hated dealing with plant magicians.

Shit. That thorn earlier...

My movement started to turn sluggish as I faced her.

She was smiling brightly at me in a creepy motherly sort of way. "Don't worry dear. I will make it quick for you." She reached behind her back under the jacket, pulling out a short sword.

They were definitely professionals, giving me no way out. I could see the sword coming at me as I reached for my second attribute, lightning, knowing full well that this was probably going to hurt. I didn't have the ability to react fast enough to block or dodge it. The poison was already spreading through my limbs, paralyzing me.

Suddenly, an arm wrapped around my middle, and I was jerked back against a hard chest. The other arm reached past my head, stopping the blade inches from my face. I gasped in horror when I realized Tyler had grabbed it with his bare hands. He must have come looking for me when he sensed the woman blocking my way back.

By now, the poison had spread so far that his hold was the only thing keeping me upright.

The woman's face scrunched in confusion. She tried pushing the blade deeper into his hand, but he didn't even flinch. "You should be dead," she said, glaring at Tyler.

He tightened his arm around me before replying. "Let's make this quick, so you can follow your dear husband." Tyler pushed her blade so hard she stumbled against the open bathroom door, eyes wide as she realized the gravity of his words.