Chapter 12 || Shitheads Should Keep Their Hands Off My Sister

I had spent the entire last week searching for my sister all over the city

I had spent the entire last week searching for my sister all over the city. Somehow I ended up not even catching her shadow. At least that meant the others weren't any closer to catching her either. The city was bustling with bounty hunters. Paul had contacted me as I was weaving my way through the streets. He'd sounded breathless when he uttered only two sentences. "Crimson Casino. Main street heading south."

With only one thing on my mind, I picked up my pace as I rushed to the casino. I didn't care about whatever guy my twin sister had picked up that had dragged her into this mess. If the bounty hunters didn't get to him, I might go and deal with him myself. But first, getting her was my priority.

When I finally arrived at the Casino, it was chaos everywhere. Thankfully, finding out which way they went was easy. A deep, long gash ran along the street on my right that led towards the center plaza. I followed the wake of destruction, briefly wondering if it was one of the hunters who did this. If so, I would have to hurry.

The fountain at the plaza was completely overturned. There were hunters left and right, fighting between each other, casting spells, but seemingly moving towards one general direction. The auditorium.

The entrance was especially packed. A guy with an eye patch saw me approach and instantly conjured a fireball in his hand, seemingly ready to take out the competition. I didn't give him the chance. My spear flashed and his body dropped to the ground, but the next guy was already there to take his place.

I don't have time for this.

After activating my speed rune, I bent my legs and ran forward. Small lightning impulses ran through my body as I bent my legs. The simple leap catapulted me high in the air as I thrust my spear and crashed through the windows landing on the second floor of the auditorium.

I was immediately greeted by a sword coming right at my face, but my spear was faster. I blocked the attack and pushed the assailant who back with more force than necessary. My patience was running thin. Nobody would stop me from getting to my sister, especially not this small fry. Anger was running through my body as I gathered my mana, dipping into both my lightning and air magic. The time for being low-key was over.

A second later, I was basically standing in the center of a storm. Lightning flashed and the wind was howling around me, amplified by my frustration. The attacker was flung away and crashed into a pillar. He didn't get up after that.

When I got to the floor above the main hall, I started channeling more of my lightning attribute into the storm around me. It felt as if the air was alive, charged with power. I focused on the ground in front of me. In the next second, a huge lightning bolt crashed through the floor, and I landed in the hall below. After the dust settled, I froze in shock at the sight that greeted me.

Time seemed to slow down. The pressure around me intensified as I noticed Kaia at the end of the hall next to the destroyed podium. The storm she had conjured failed as she stumbled unsteadily. Before she fell, a man emerged from behind the rubble and caught her. She barely seemed to notice as her body hung weakly in his arms. When she looked up, her eyes met mine.

My anger spiked as a group of hunters was foolish enough to dash forward. My lightning magic responded to my rage and they were flung away by the blast I send out. Everything around me quieted. I didn't even realize that I was subconsciously condensing the air around me, ready to strike whoever dared to get close.

I was about to step up, ready to snatch her from the shithead who was still holding her when said shithead lifted his hand. He was holding a small, gleaming object. Runes glowed around both of them as I rushed forward, using the wind to push me even faster, but it wasn't enough.

Her body going limp was the last thing I saw before both of them disappeared in a flash of light.