Chapter 15 || Where is my Sister?

I was walking over the roof of the council hall at half past six, thirty minutes before the meeting would start

Every month, they held one council meeting in public. They usually took decisions there that was open to public voting. Although it was mostly for show since they never presented anything that would be rejected. I had heard from Paul that something big would be going down tonight, so I expected Kai to be here.

The place was already swarming with security. One of the reasons why I opted to stay in the bird's nest. Looking over the edge of the roof, the courtyard spread out below me. I had nearly missed the memo since I'd been AWOL for the last weeks, trying to catch Kai and that shithead. Luckily, Paul had managed to reach me at the last moment. Apparently, nearly the whole guild was on the move.

For the last weeks, Paul had been trying to stop me by making some excuses about the guy Kai was with. That was why I had been staying away from the headquarters in order to look for them on my own. Paul had let me know that Kai was safe for now, but I didn't like where this was going. Not one bit.

I wouldn't rest easy until she was back with me. Whatever the problem was, I could take care of the rest.

A hooded person wearing a dark cloak was moving along the edge of the crowd. He seemed to know exactly where the guards were because he kept to the blind spots at all times. Something about him seemed familiar...

Wait. Wasn't that the shithead?

He seemed to be holding an object in his hand. When I couldn't find Kai after scanning the crowd multiple times, I decided to follow him for now. I tracked him until he rounded a corner, disappearing into a side entrance.

Swiftly, I sprinted over the rooftop before I jumped and dropped onto the balcony twenty feet below with ease. After breaking in through the window, I made my way down a staircase that led me right into the same hallway he disappeared into.

Shit.

The hallway was empty. He couldn't have gone far though, the whole thing had taken me maybe ten seconds. I ran down the next corridor, but it was empty as well. I kept moving when out of nowhere an arm appeared in my line of sight at lightning speed. Reacting purely by reflex, I spun on my feet and my spear materialized in my hand. Before I could put it to use, the shithead reached out and grabbed it.

Bad move.

I smirked at him. In the next second, lightning crackled up and down the spear's handle. Even though he let go and stepped back, he didn't even flinch as the electricity hit him.

I frowned in disappointment. This much should've knocked him straight on his ass. But that also meant there was no need in holding back. More lightning filled the space between us until he finally spoke. "Kieran, knock it off. It's me." He pushed back his hood revealing tousled black hair, slightly shorter than mine, and dark brown eyes.