The Vanishing of Will Byers

"Where the hell are they?" My mom is looking for her keys. "Jonathan?" "Y/n?" "Check the couch!" My twin Jonathan yells from the kitchen. We're making breakfast. "Ugh, I did. Oh... Got them. Okay, sweeties, I will see you two tonight." "Yeah, see you later." Jonathan answers. "See you tonight mom, have fun at work," I say. "Where's Will?" She asks. "Oh, I didn't get him up yet." My brother answers. "Yeah, he's probably still sleeping," I add and she sighs. "Jonathan, Y/n, you have to make sure he's up!" "Mom, we're making breakfast." "We were going to wake him once it's ready." "I told you this a thousand times." She says clearly frustrated. "Will! Come on, honey. It's time to get up." She says while walking into his room. "He came home last night, right?" She asks Jonathan, who was watching him last night. Mom and I had to work. "He's not in his room?" I ask her. "Did he come home or not?" She ignores me and asks Jonathan again. "I don't know." "You don't know?" "What do you mean you don't know? You were watching him last night?" I interrupt. "No. I got home late. I was working." He stammers. "You were working?" "Eric asked if I could cover. I said yeah. I just thought we could use the extra cash." "Jonathan, we've talked about this." "I know, I know." "You can't take shifts when I'm working." "Mom, it's not a big deal. Look, he was at the Wheelers' all day. I'm sure he just stayed over." "Jonathan is right, he probably stayed the night there or maybe with Dustin?" "I can't believe you. I can't believe you sometimes." She calls mikes mom. "Hi, Karen. It's Joyce. Was that Will I hear back there? Will didn't spend the night? Um, you know what? I think he just left early... for school. Thank you so much. Bye." "I'll go check if he's at school okay?" I say and quickly take my bag, and coat and take some breakfast. "Okay sweetheart"

I call my mom from wills school. "Hi mom, I'm at wills school right now but he's also isn't here." "I should go to the sheriff's station" She answers. "Okay, meanwhile I'll stay home so there's someone if he comes back" "I love you Y/n, be safe" "I love you too mom. I will."

"What did they say at the sheriff's station?" I ask mom when she came back. "Hopper will look into it. Are there any places we haven't checked yet?" "How could we forget. We haven't checked Castle Byers. Maybe he's there?"

I sigh when I go in. It's empty. It reminds me of a good memory with him.

"Ring-a-ding-ding! Anybody home?" "Password?" Will answers. "Uh, Rada..." "Radagast" I answer for my mom. "Yeah. You may enter." "Thank you" "Thank you, Sir." Will is reading a comic on the "bed" he made in castle Byers. "So, guess what? I got off early and... Ta-da! Poltergeist." She shows 4 tickets for the movie. "I... I thought I wasn't allowed to see it." "I changed my mind." She answers and I gave her a look. "Well actually as it turns out, your sister here is quite the convincer." He looks at me with the cutest smile and I pull him in my arms. "Anything for you willie but as long as you don't have nightmares for a week," I say and smile at him. "No, I won't. I don't get scared like that anymore." "Oh, yeah? Not even of clowns?" Mom laughs. "No." "What about my witch?" She does the hand movement. "No. Mom..." "I'm not five anymore." "But Will Byers... I'm going to cook you up in my-" "Stop. That's so stupid. Mom!" Will says and laughs. "I have to cook dinner now so what do you two want?" "You can choose Willie" "Can we have burgers?" "Sure thing" She walks out. "So do you have another comic for me?" He hands me one and we read in silence with his head on my shoulder.

"Is Lonnie there? Can you please- Who is this? Cynthia, this is Joyce. Lonnie's ex-wife. I really need to speak to him. Can you please put- No! No, not later. Now! Can-" Cynthia hangs up and mom puts the phone back with a lot of force. "Bitch!" She yells. "Mom." "What?" "You have to stay calm," Jonathan says, she chuckles and dials the number again. I go to sit next to Jonathan. "Thank you," I say. "For what?" "I don't know for staying so calm and helping mom" "If I just stayed home that night maybe he would still be here." "Hey, hey, listen to me. None of it is your fault. We'll find him, I know we will."

"Lonnie, some teenager just hung up on me. Will is... is missing. I don't know where he is." "I need... I just need you to call me back, please, just-" The line disconnects again. "Damn it! Damn it!" "Mom?" I question. "What?" "Cops." Jonathan finishes.

"It was just lying there?" "Yeah. Cal?" "Did it have any blood on it, or-" "No, no, no, no, no... Phil?" "If you found the bike out there, why are you here?" "Well, he had a key to the house, right?" "Yeah." "So... maybe he came home." "You think I didn't check my own house?" "I'm not saying that." "Has this always been here?" Hopper asks when he sees something on the wall. "What? I don't know." "Probably. I mean, I have three kids, especially two boys. Look at this place." "You're not sure?" Mom sighs. Our dog starts barking so hopper goes outside. "Hey, what's up with this guy, huh?" "Nothing, he's probably just hungry. Come on."

"Jonathan, wow. Did you take these? These are great. Wow, they really are. I know I haven't been there for you two. I've been... working so hard and I... I just feel bad. I don't even... barely know what's going on with you two. All right? I am sorry about that." Jonathan starts to sob softly. "Hey, what is it? What is it, honey?" "Nothing." He sniffles. "Tell me. Tell me. Come on. You can..." "No. It's just... I should've been there for him." His voice breaks and immediately hugs him. "It's not your fault" I start sobbing too. "No. Oh, no. You can't do that to yourself. This was not your fault. Do you hear me? He is... close. I know it. I... I feel it in my heart. You just have to... You have to trust me on this, okay?" "Yeah." "Oh, look at this. Look at this one. Look at this one." She picks up a picture where Will is smiling so bright. The three of us laugh. "I mean, that's it, right?" "Yeah." "That's it. That's the one."

The phone starts ringing. "Hello? Hello? Lonnie?" "Dad?" Jonathan and I both question at the same time. "Hopper? Who is this? Will? Will?" We both look at each other and stand up. "It's Will?" "Mom, it's Will?" "Who is this? What have you done to my boy?" "What? What?" "Give me back my son!" Suddenly my mom gets a small shock of electricity from the phone, she screams and drops it. He picks it up. "Hello? Hello, who is this? Hello? Who is this?" We're both sobbing and I embrace mom. "Mom, who was it? Who was it, Mom?" I ask her softly. "It was him." "Look at me, Mom. Was it Will?" My brother asks, and she nods. "What did he say?" "He just breathed. He just breathed." "And was someone else there? Mom, who was there? Who was it?" "It was him. I know it was his breathing. I know it was his breathing." He embraces her too and the three of us sob.