Chapter 4

I sat in Jen's room next to her, looking at a picture of Patrick.
"Why did you give this to me, again?" I asked.
"He told me you two hung out last week. I thought you might want a picture of your boyfriend."
"He's not my boyfriend."
"Mhmm." She said sarcastically.
"Jen, I know you're mad-"
"Mad?" She laughed. "You guys are cute together! I totally ship it."
"Nothing-listen to me-nothing has happened between us. We just hung out."
"That's not what Patrick said..." She said quietly, in a sing-song voice. I sat up.
"What did Patrick say?"
"He said you 'got close,'" she made a horrible impression of Patrick. I sat back.
"Well, I mean, we did, but not...physically."
"He's an awful kisser, by the way." Jen replied, ignoring me.
"How would you know that?!"
"Dude, chill. I talked to one of his girlfriends. Well, like, his only girlfriend. When he was sixteen. After they broke up."
"Oh, come on. If they were broken up, of course she would say bad things about him."
"I don't know, man...she sounded pretty honest..."
I rolled my eyes.
"Well, I'm not going to know, am I? Because we are not an item, and he does not like me like that." I said it like explaining something to a small child. "And anyway," I continued. "I thought you hated the idea of us together. You got all angry when you saw us in the garage."
"Okay, that was different." She said. "You guys just met." Her tone was different, angrier. "And another thing-"
She was interrupted by a knock on the door. Her mom stepped in and said, "Your aunt needs us to come over. They need help with Jonah."
"Jonah is my six-month-old cousin," Jen explained. "They've been having problems with him for a while. I'll be back in a while," she continued, standing up and putting on her shoes.
I went out into the living room behind Jen, hearing her mom knock on Patrick's door, letting him know that they were leaving. Jen started out the door.
"Jen, should I go home or..."
"If you want," she replied casually, sticking her head back inside. "But..." She nodded behind me. "I'm not sure you want to." I looked behind and saw Patrick.
"Jen!" I exclaimed. When I turned back to her, she was gone.
"Sorry," her mom said, walking out and shutting the door behind her.
"Looks like it's just us again." Patrick said. I checked my watch. It was almost seven. "Wanna go to the park?"