▬▬ 𝟏𝟐 ∙ 𝝩𝗵𝗲 𝗨𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘄𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝝩𝝾𝘄𝗻

・ 。゚☆: *.☽

˚✩ ⋆。 ✩┊ 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐃𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐚 ┊✦ ˚ · .

▬▬ 12 ∙ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚄𝚗𝚍𝚎𝚛𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚘𝚠𝚗

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"It's not stopping," Mila said, panicking. "When is it going to stop?" The water level had risen to our ankles in a mere five minutes. At this rate, we would be submerged within the next few hours.

"There's the window. The water will start flowing out from it."

"We don't have a window anymore."

"What?" I looked over to see that the hole had been replaced with a metal square; the same happened with the back entrance. We can't get out. We can't get out.

"Lia. Lia!" Mila shouted to get my attention: I was too preoccupied thinking of a plan. I ignore her, deep in feverish worrying.

"Ok, so we can swim up to the top when it gets high enough, and then we can climb onto the roof..." I muttered. "Yes, this will work..."

"Lia!"

"What?"

"I can't swim!"

"You can't swim?" I asked, confused.

"Yes, I can't swim! I've been trying to tell you for the last five minutes! I never learned how!" I realized that there was no ocean or pool in District 12; the only reason I knew was because of where I lived. I felt horribly guilty for forgetting about Mila's upbringing.

"Oh. Um... Oh. Well, I guess... Wait, that'll never work... Hmmm...."

"You could teach me."

"Not enough time."

"Just let me drown?" I stare at her, looking deep into her eyes to see if she was being serious.

She was.

At least I think she was.

"No way. That's never going to happen and it never will. I don't leave a friend behind, Mila. No matter where we are."

"Then what? I don't want to be the one who pulls you down with me."

"I don't know. But we can work through it, together."

"Lia?" Mila spoke up after a few minutes of brainstorming.

"Yes?"

"Why can't we just climb out of the hole instead of waiting for the water level to rise?"

"I don't know, I never thought of that. Can we even fit through it?"

"I'm small, I probably can, but I don't know about you."

"Do you want me to boost you up and you can get out, see if there's anything outside that you could use to help?"

"And leave you?" She is torn between survival and loyalty.

"What other choice do we have?"

"Ok, then," Mila agreed unsurely. She stepped on the stool that I had brought over, but her fingers barely grazed the ceiling. I motioned for her to step on my hands and I pushed her up with all my might.

"Are you out yet?"

"Almost," she responded and grunted with effort. She began to rise from my hands, and I was able to let go. I shook out my tired arms which felt like two weights. I heard creaking from the roof as Mila crept around. There was a slight clicking noise, but nothing happened. The water was waist-high now, my feet struggling to stay down as I began floating. Another click, and another, and another.