3| baby does not act like baby

What are the things that normal babies do?

They eat, they talk, they cry: babies are like that. They were also fragile creatures and easily influenced by the world around them. They learn, they adapt, allowing them to grow up and communicate with their kind. That was what babies were. Helpless little things that needed a little push in the direction they needed to go.

And most babies, by the age of one, would have already learned how to speak. The child that they had taken in, however, did not.

In the office of Marineford's resident doctor, Garp sat on a chair, anxiously bouncing his leg as he and Sengoku watched the doctor with apprehensive eyes. The man in question was Dr. Fishbonen, a jolly and kind man who held a respectable reputation within Marineford. True to his name, he was always somehow seen with a fishbone sticking out of the corner of his mouth. As to the reason why, well, one could only guess.

Dr. Fishbonen hummed softly as he examined Y/n, eyes lingering briefly on the ring on her finger before giving her a basic check-up. Surprisingly enough, she didn't kick or scream, merely patiently staring up at him with those bright eyes of hers as he listened to her heartbeat and examined her lungs.

He frowned, setting the stethoscope aside to pick up the otoscope.

Moving to her ears next, Fishbonen found that she still didn't do anything. Then he checked her eyes, carefully shining the light, fully expecting a backlash or at least some kind of sign of discomfort. From the way Garp and Sengoku tensed, he knew they were expecting it as well.

Yet through it all she was quiet, sitting perfectly still and watching his every movement. It wasn't caution, but it wasn't disinterest either. It was uncomfortable- the silence, and Dr. Fishbonen grew worried for the child in front of him.

He'd seen something similar a few times, in older marines, but she was so young, barely in grade school. Yet there was a hardness to her gaze behind her deceptively soft features. He would know. He had seen that same look on Garp.

There was only silence in the room other than the squeaking of Garp's chair as he re-adjusted his position for the hundredth time. And after a few tense moments, Sengoku breaks the silence.

"There's something wrong, isn't there?"

He rubbed his eyes, shaking his head as he examined her skull. What even was there to say? He was a doctor, not a psychiatrist. He fixed broken bones, he's stitched up a stomach, but he couldn't fix a broken heart. Resuscitate it, yes, but not fix.

"As a child, I can conclude that she is healthy," he looked over at Garp, almost wanting some sort of guidance- a cue -for what he should do, what he should say. But all he sees is the relief washing over the older man's features as he laughs, unaware of his inner turmoil.

Garp nudged Y/n in the side with his elbow.

"You hear that? You're healthy!" The soft look on his face was one only an old man could give and it surprised Fishbonen. He'd never seen Garp look like this in years- so genuinely happy. He had always been so grumpy, stomping and barking orders around the place, yet looking like a kicked puppy whenever he thought nobody was watching.

"Garp! Don't elbow her!" Sengoku chastised, smacking him in the head. Garp continues to grin, not deterred in the slightest.

The corners of Fishbonen's mouth quirk up.

Yet here he was, hell Sengoku too, sitting and laughing, joking around and making the young girl beside him beam as though depression had never hit him. There was a spark, something so pure in Garp's eyes that made Fishbonen smile too.