4| duty calls (for a home)

Sengoku tucked his hands into his pockets, listening to the waves of the harbor as he regarded his late-night companion tiredly.

"You're ridiculous."

She turned her head, grinning up at him, her eyes twinkling in that familiar way he loved. "If I'm ridiculous, then what are you? I didn't take a well-respected marine to go out of curfew to meet a little old pirate down the harbor. Except for Garp. You know how he is."

Her face was teasing as she poked him in the shoulder.

"Aren't I right, Sengoku?"

"Be quiet. You're not even supposed to be here."

She shrugs.

"Well, I came to see you." Her gaze turned upward to the stars, the moonlight on her cheeks a ghostly white. "You could say that destiny led me to you."

"You're just here because you're hungry."

She laughs, brushing her cold fingers against his hand.

"You got me there. But let's enjoy this for a little while longer. I don't want to leave you just yet."

His throat clogged up. Squeezing his eyes shut, he looks away.

"Me too."

.

.

.

Blearily, Sengoku opened his eyes, staring at the popcorn ceiling.

He's warm, underneath the covers, yet he feels cold and unnaturally sweaty. It had been a long time since he dreamed about her.

With a heavy heart, he sighs, looking down in front of him. It takes him a moment of thinking about why there was a child sleeping in his bed when he realizes fuck, this wasn't his bed, and goddamn, everything that happened yesterday was real. She was real.

It makes him want to sit up, yet if he does, he knows he'll stir her. So he doesn't, choosing to watch her soft face as she adorably slumbered away.

Sengoku cracks a small smile and snuggles closer to Y/n, brushing some stray hair out of her face. His fingers linger on her cheeks for a second, before rubbing her head affectionately.

He was warm, underneath the covers, watching her.

He was warm at the thought of even being able to have this moment with her.

Gingerly pulling the comforter up, he's careful not to stir Y/n. On the other side of the bed, Garp muttered something incoherent and turned in his sleep. Sengoku didn't pay much mind, he was more focused on her.

Sengoku enjoyed watching the calmness of her soft chubby features. It reminded him of what he had- what they had. Their second chance.

He watched her face twitch, slowly scrunching into a deep frown. Sengoku's breath hitched.

There was a slow grinding sound beside his ear as she ground her teeth and Sengoku could feel the sudden unnatural twitching of her fingers. Her brows furrowed (in what seemed to be a slight grimace) and thick beads of sweat started to dribble down her face.

And when a cold shiver racks her body, he reaches out in concern, his fingers brushing across her forehead.

She violently jerked away, nearly slamming into Garp.

He flinched.

What the hell?

Y/n was shivering worse now, her whole body shaking like she was too cold. But she shouldn't be. The windows were closed and their combined heat underneath the covers should have been enough to keep her warm. Yet she curled up on herself, making herself smaller and looking as though he had burned her with his touch.