𝟬𝟭𝟳 betrayal

chapter seventeen
betrayal

        Lucas lets out a heavy sigh and asks, for what seems to be the five-hundredth time, "How much further?"

"God, you sound like Steve on our last road trip," Alex groans.  "Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?  Dad, can you change the music?"

Hours have passed since they first set foot along the train tracks.  They're deep in the woods now, miles away from the rest of Hawkins.  She's fallen into step with the two boys along the train tracks.  Her steps are lighter.  She's less tired.  The anger feels lighter now that she's talked to El.  She feels less angry when she's with them.  There seems to be less room for anger when she's in the company of the boys.  Maybe it's because her anger has to make room for the boys because she's not so alone anymore.

"Not everyone has walking immunity, Alex," Lucas retorts.

"'Walking immunity'?" Alex repeats with raised eyebrows.

"Shut up," Lucas retorts, "my legs feel like they're about to fall off.  Cut me some slack."

"Why didn't you just say it like that, then?"

"I don't know!"

"We're looking for a gate to another dimension, and you're complaining about your legs?" Dustin questions incredulously. 

"Well, I'm not going to be much help saving Will if I don't have any legs," Lucas quips.  "That's all I'm saying."

Alex shrugs.  "He's got a point."

"I don't think your legs will fall off from walking too much," Dustin points out. 

"I know that, Dustin," Lucas replies through gritted teeth, but Alex can see the grin that's working his way onto his face. "I'm just saying, we've been walking for hours, we haven't found the gate, and I'm tired of walking."

"Want me to carry you on my back?" Alex teases, nudging Lucas in the ribs with a grin on her face despite their situation. 

Alex wishes that she knew these boys when she was younger.  She thinks she would have been happier that way.  Maybe she would have been less angry.  Alex has changed in these past four days—they've changed her in these past four days, in ways that Alex thought weren't possible.  They've changed her for the better.   And even if they go their separate ways after they find Will, they will always be a part of her.  She knows this now.  Friendship is like a stain; they'll stay with her, even if they're not in her life anymore.