one

1983

Silence.

024 was sitting in a chair, her arms strapped tightly on each side as she fought against the pain. Blood was smearing down her nose, her ears becoming clogged with clumps of red that ran down her cheeks. 024's eyes were closed, concentrating on the heat that invaded her body.

          One man sat in the room with her, watching every one of her movements. He had seen her constant trembling, her eyes running back in forth behind her eyelids. Every action that she made was noted down by him, and as if she could hear him, he spoke to her.

Only his voice would echo into the room.

         024 never responded to his questions, acting as if she couldn't hear them. He knew she could. She knew she could. But that didn't stop her from disregarding the rules that were continuously told to her.

Her head was throbbing.

"Your fingers are glowing."

She didn't look.

       The girl kept her eyes closed, her fist clenching more as the heat filled her palms, slowly trailing onto her fingers. She was concentrating on each feeling that occurred, welcoming it as if it was nice.

It wasn't.

       The pressure of heat soon moved from her fist to her arms, cascading into her chest and filling her body. 024 had never gotten this far before. It was progress, though, she didn't know whether to celebrate or fear over the fact.

She was losing her concentration.

"Your levels are dropping."

She already knew that.

But she couldn't stop it.

      024 bared her teeth together, imagining the sound of a crack as they collided harshly. Her fist tightened, the lines on her forehead creased further into concentration — she held onto the last of the heat she produced.

It dimmed soon after.

She didn't want to open her eyes.

       But as the familiar click of a pen sounded into the ringing of her ears, 024 barely opened her eyes as she met the man in front of her.

He held a smile, but it was fake.

"What happened?"

       024 could hear the insincerity in his voice as soon as he spoke. But as she knew speaking out would only make things worse, she bit back her lip, keeping her gaze on his own.

       "Lost... focus," Her words were barely coherent. She tried, at least. But speaking wasn't in her forte.

He nodded.

     "You've progressed, based on today's results," he spoke over the silence, leaning back into the chair he was currently in. A small squeak sounded because of the action. "But you still seem to be confused on some aspects."

      024 was used to these words, as they left his lips every other day. She knew that although she impressed him, there was a specific area that caused a well known feeling to her.

fear.

"It's time for the questions."

She shifted in her seat.

      These questions were a daily thing to her. 024 was able to repeat each question in her head, as they were never different.

he used his thumb to wipe the blood from her nose.

"What's your name?"

"024"

Faye Hart

"How old are you?"

"No age."

I think 15

"Who is your guardian?"

024 went silent.

       Her eyes stayed on his own, her mouth had opened as if she was ready to answer. But she didn't. The young girl only stared at the man before her, the man she'd associated as 'papa' since she could remember.

He was her guardian.

     But despite those words repeating in her head, telling her it was the truth, 024 couldn't find the strength to say it to him. She knew he wanted to hear it, wanted to hear the familiar name leave her lips. But she didn't give him that satisfaction, finding herself fighting against her inner thoughts.

She closed her mouth.

      The man let out a sigh at her silence, trying to portray the feeling of patience. 024 watched as he crossed his leg over his other, slightly bouncing his foot to the rhythm of his breaths.

"Who is your guardian?"

      The question was repeated again, much to her dismay. And as she felt the familiar burn pierce into her mind, causing a small drip of blood to fall from her nose, staining her dried lips, 024 pressed them together, fighting the urge to speak.

His smile taunted her.

      And as he sat up in his chair, grabbing a thick pair of gloves before messing with the now heated straps that still held her against the chair, 024 held back the look of relief from crossing her face.

"I think we will need you back for testing."

The relief was gone.

She shifted in her seat.

        And as she watched his movements, feeling the metal bars release the grip from her wrists. 024 lightly twisted her hands into comfortability, now ignoring the stare that was settled onto her face. She didn't dare to look him in the eyes as he had spoken his last sentence, knowing what was coming. 024 was already feeling as more presence came into the room.

All armed.

"Take her back to her room."

...
E.M.