three

1986

       The rapid sounds of people chorused into Faye's ears, leading for a small ring to occur in response. Tables were filled with students, their laughs and chatter tangling into one, making it impossible to hear coherent sentences.

       Her tray was balancing in her hand, food she couldn't even recognize scattered around into different sections. She wasn't planning on eating it, nor was she even hungry. Faye hadn't even gotten the food for herself.

       Instead, the girls eyes wandered over each table, seeing the different groups that occupied each area. The jocks, band, the outcasts. Faye knew that the person she was looking for wouldn't be anywhere busy, as they had been pushing themself away from anyone they were once close too.

She spotted her in the corner.

        The ginger locks messily pulled back into a ponytail, headphones covering her ears, pushing away the noises of her peers. Max was sat alone at a table, her head fallen into her hands as she stared off into space, letting the music consume her.

Faye started her walk.

     Her steps short, almost careful, as if she were to spook away an animal — Faye made her way towards the young girl, not meeting her eye as she sat in front of her.

     "You need to eat," Her tone remained soft, practically apologetic, as she turned the tray towards her, "They were out of pizza, I honestly don't know what that is."

A flicker of a smile.

But she stayed quiet.

      Faye followed her silence, knowing that if she talked too much, Max would probably leave. She was stubborn. And as Faye thought that even an ounce of progress was being made, she didn't want to lose it.

The silence was almost comforting.

"You want something freak?"

She spoke too soon.

      And like a few others in the cafeteria, she turned around, not being necessarily surprised to see Eddie Munson on the table, but the other being Jason — who tried his best to look intimidating.

She mentally rolled her eyes.

    Eddie was quiet in return, almost mocking him as he stared him down. Everyone could see the annoyed look on Jason's face, his arms crossing as he waited for a response. And after a short moment, he finally got one. Though, it wasn't words. Instead, Eddie decided to send a smile in his direction before imitating a devil as he hissed, making the small group around him snicker.

This happened every other day.

And because of that, Faye didn't pay much mind to it, turning back to Max. Though, she frowned once she did, seeing the table was now empty.

Max left her.

Food untouched.

Shit.

Faye bit back her lip in disgust, sliding the tray towards her, looking at the compartments and clean fork.