four

She was saved by the bell.

Because as Faye felt cornered, stuck between the two boys who never subsided their pleas, the familiar ring of dismissal sounded into the room, causing a small smile to paint onto her face.

Mike was the only one to try and stop her, weakly yelling a 'wait!' as she tangled her way into the crowd of students. And much to her luck, but also confusion, not a peep had escaped the other — making her turn back for just a moment, seeing him watch her.

She knew that look.

And almost as if she was intimidated by the boy, Faye's steps grew faster, knowing she'd be stuck at her locker momentarily.

Something Dustin knew as well.

Her shoulders maneuvered their way past each person she passed, occasionally causing a small thump to occur. And quickly, she found her locker, twisting the lock before carefully stopping at each number.

6

twist

32

twist

1-

She could no longer see the lock.

     Nor anything else, as a piece of fabric was thrown at her, impermanently blocking her vision. Faye cursed to herself. And after hearing the faint snicker from Dustin, who she knew was already running away, Faye pulled the shirt off her head, staring down at the words that designed it.

Hellfire Club

She crumbled the shirt in her hand.

    And as her eyes scanned the halls, hoping to get a glimpse of the boy, she failed, seeing the halls become empty.

"I'm being bullied by a 15 year old."

She looked back at the crumbled shirt.

And reluctantly, she tucked it in between her arm, finishing the combination to her lock. The class bell had already rung, making her late for whatever was next — though, Faye showed no signs of annoyance as she tossed the shirt into her bag, grabbing the books she needed.

They owed her.

✳︎

They definitely owed her.

Because Faye was lost.

With her sneakers squeaking against the clean floors of the school, the Hellfire shirt baggily laying against her body — the girl was looking everywhere for the club, not being familiar with this area of the school.

Faye had peaked through windows, twisted many locked doorknobs as she searched for the supposed cult she'd sub in for the day — and it was only once she heard chanting, words that were foreign to her, before she ultimately decided to follow it.

Her squeaked steps were being quieted by the loud clutter of voices, and the dimmed hallways soon became bright as if someone had just recently been there.

Bingo.

Faye sped up her pace.

And as she approached the door, seeing slightly dimmed lights through the crack at the bottom, she threw open the door, immediately meeting the eyes of several different people.

She grew nervous.

Some seemed amused by her abrupt appearance, others seemingly annoyed as they eye'd her. Faye glanced at all of them momentarily, trying to find a few she'd recognize.

"You're late."

Her eyes snapped to his.

The curly hair, the same vest that became a staple piece in each of his outfits — Faye shifted in her step as she stared back at him, trying to not show her uncomfortableness.

"In my defense," She started out, her voice being more confident than she expected, "I got lost."

She cringed at her own words.

And almost like he was toying with her, Eddie cocked his head to the side, approaching her slowly as she took a weary step back, "Don't you go here?"

She sent a glance to Dustin.

"I... do," she responded shortly, trying to stand straighter then before. "I just.."

Faye stopped her words

Explaining herself would just put her further into embarrassment. She knew that. And she knew Eddie would continue his antics if she tried. So, instead, she shook away her words, crossing her arms as she looked at him.

"Not the point."

A small smile.

She wasn't expecting that.

     "So, Faye Hart," His voice graced into her ears, her name sounding strange from his lips, "What's your class and level?" He asked, making her send a small, confused glance to Dustin, "Level 1 Dwarf?"

Faye had no idea what that meant.

But she was still offended.

      And as the boys behind Eddie snickered in response, seeing as her brows creased in confusion, she frowned.

     "I could just... leave?" She took a step back, nodding her head to the door, "And then you'd be back to square one, wouldn't you?" She faked a pout, letting the words flow out before she could even think of what she was saying, "I'm your backup..." She stopped her steps, "Your only backup," She reiterated, leaning back against the door, "You need me, Munson."

He only looked at her.

She sent a challenging look back.

"It's okay, you can say it."

...
E.M.