seven

No one ever answered her question, almost acting as if she didn't speak a word. And she almost huffed at that, right before the group of strangers pulled her from her seat — almost making her wince as they went into a huddle.

"Guys, I hate to say this, but we have to flee."

Faye cocked her head at the boy.

"I know I like... zoned out," She awkwardly spoke, noticing a few glares, "But didn't you all just chant and agree to 'Fight to the death'?"

It went quiet.

"That... that wasn't literal."

She rolled her eyes that time.

"Only you and I are alive," Dustin spoke up, glancing at her, "We'd have to roll high to defeat Vecna."

"How high?"

"How about a 20?" Another spoke, causing her attention to go to him, "Which is highly unlikely."

"But it's not—"

"If I may interject, gentlemen," Eddie interrupted, stopping as his eyes finally lingered to Faye, "Miss Hart," He said quieter, "Whilst I respect the passion, there is no shame in running. Don't try to be heroes." He smiled, "Not today, okay?"

The group went quiet again.

And as Eddie kept his eyes on her, barely briefing a look to Dustin — Faye felt as if he was trying to tempt her. But she wasn't easily tempted.

"I'm not much of a runner," Her voice broke through the silence, her own smile weakly being displayed on her face, "Not anymore, at least."

"And I want to kill this son of a bitch," Dustin added his own input in, nodding, quite confidently, to his own words.

Eddie finally looked back to him.

Though, he wasn't the only one. Everyone found themselves leaning in Dustin's direction, seeing as he grabbed the dice off the table. Faye watched as he cupped his hands together, shaking it in his hand as she lightly placed her hands over her ears.

she didn't want another memory.

Dustin was taking a minute, maybe two — almost stalling as he stared at the plastic creature ahead of him. But everyone waited, not minding the small wait.

his breath hitched.

"To the death," He said quietly, finally pushing the dice onto the board. And in anticipation, everyone leaned further, trying to see what number it landed on.

11

"It's a miss!"

Faye was slightly unsettled by the number.

But she didn't get the opportunity to think too much into it, already having the dice being placed into her hand.

Like Dustin, she cupped her hand over it.

And she shook.

The small cube hitting against her palms, the feeling of everyone's eyes on her. It almost felt like this was a real fight, that she really was the last one left. That everyone around her was hoping she'd be the one to stop this 'vecna' creature from killing them all.

The dice left her hand.

20

She looked to Mike.

"That's good right?"

A smile was returned to her.

she smiled herself.

     And immediately, multiple sets of hands were placed against her shoulders and arms — voices erupting in cheers as they jumped around her.

Even Eddie seemed pleased.

     A large smile on his face, his eyes painting amusement as he saw a small ounce of confusion crossed on her face. Faye watched as he jutted his arms over the table, providing a small wink as her smile grew at the sight.

     And in return, she playfully bowed in return, biting back her growing smile as she looked to the others. She had beat him. She did something good. Even if it was only just a game.

"That's why we play," Eddie's voice overtook the rest, flicking down the Vecna creature from its small podium.

"That's why we play."

...
E.M.