prologue !

PROLOGUE: LOVE FEELS LIKE HATE

     Cora sat at the back of the classroom as she drowned out all noise around her, including her teacher who was teaching about God knows what.

     Cora's focus was on Nancy. The girl sat directly in front of Cora, her hair in loose curls as it was pulled back into a half-up, half-down style.

     Cora watched in annoyance as Nancy tapped her pen against her desk. The girl always had a way to get on her nerves. Always.

     Cora knew that Nancy loved to bother her. She could tell by the smirk she wore on her face after causing trouble, and the tilt of her head as she faked innocence.

     Cora knew almost everything about Nancy, even though she hated to admit it. She knew how Nancy studied harder than everyone, even if she didn't need to. It was obvious that the girl was scared of failure.

     She knew that Nancy enjoyed going on walks by the fields as she listened to the birds chirping. She'd heard Barbara and Nancy having a conversation once, and picked up on the fact that Nancy loved those walks.

     She also knew that Nancy hated her. If Nancy liked Cora, she wasn't doing a very good job at showing it. Both girls had a very long list of how they knew that they hated each other.

But sometimes, that hate felt like love.

Cora has found herself thinking late at night whether Nancy really did hate her, and whether she really hated Nancy. She would think about how they glanced at each other's lips, how she felt jealously spiking within her when Steve came around, or that one time she could've sworn she saw Nancy's face flush a dark pink after their hands brushed against each other.

But, maybe that was all in her head. Maybe they really were destined to hate each other.

—————
halo speaks...

ugh idk how i feel about writing this anymore LMAOO but i just have to edit the other chapters and then i'll post all at once (seeing the little checkmark in the title is so amazing)