chapter three

CHAPTER THREE: I KNOW YOU DO

Cora couldn't remember a time that she'd seen Nancy so drunk. Clearly, Steve couldn't either. She took one glance at the teen earlier and immediately recognized the fear, confusion and panic all evident on his face.

Another thing to note: Cora doesn't like parties. She was only here to piss off Nancy, but she was quickly beginning to regret it.

She held a red solo cup in her hand, with a strong tasting liquid inside. Her cup was almost completely full, as she quickly decided that she hated drinking. She couldn't get past the flavour, and God knows what she would end up doing while drunk.

At the sound of Nancy's slurred shouts, Cora looked up to see her originally white shirt now covered in a red stain. She sighed at the sight, and quickly made my way over to Nancy and an even more panicked Steve.

Cora hesitated before speaking, "I got it." She muttered softly, and Steve sighed in relief. The boy was about to apologize to her for having to take over, but she brushed it off with the wave of her hand, "don't worry about it."

"All right." He shrugged, "see you in a few?"

She nodded, before leading Nancy to the nearest bathroom. The drunk girl protested against it, trying to convince Cora that she could clean herself up on her own, but Cora just ignored it as she continued walking her down the hall with a hand on the small of her back.

When the two of them made it in the washroom, Cora closed the door quickly, and the music was instantly muffled. She sucked in a breath of relief at the quieter atmosphere, before turning to Nancy, who had already begun to clean herself up.

"Nancy, let me help." Cora attempted to take the damp cloth from her hand, but Nancy yanked it away, stumbling slightly.

"No." She mumbled before rubbing the cloth on her shirt in frustration. "Why isn't it coming out?" She slurred, "I like this shirt."

"It's a red stain on white, you won't get it out that easily." Cora tried reaching for the cloth again, but Nancy pulled it back.

"Bullshit." She grumbled.

"It's not bullshit." The sober girl rolled her eyes, "come on, let's go to your house and get you cleaned up. We can try to wash your shirt there."

"No, he's bullshit. It's all bullshit." Nancy frowned. Cora furrowed her brows as she continued rambling on, "he thinks we're so in love. He thinks- he thinks that I'm in love. But that's not even what I want." Her grip on the cloth tightened, "I don't want that."

Cora had her hand on the door to the bathroom, ready to lead Nancy out, but she ended up leaving it halfway open before pausing, frowning softly, "what are you talking about?"

"Steve." She shrugged, bringing the cloth back down to the sink so she could wet it once more. "He thinks we're in love." She turned the tap on, and wet the cloth a little bit, before bringing it back up to her shirt. Cora quickly turned the tap off for the girl.

"You're not in love?"

"No!" She scrubbed her shirt even harder, "I don't even want a boyfriend." She then threw the cloth in the sink in frustration, "do you- d'you know what I mean?"

Cora shrugged, "I mean, yeah. I understand, I guess. Not everyone wants to be in a relationship, and there's nothing wrong with that."

"No, no, no." Nancy put a hand on her arm as she spoke softly, Cora blushed at the sudden contact, "you can't tell anyone this, okay?"

"Okay."

"I want a girlfriend." She whispered, her eyes were droopy, and she looked as tired as Cora felt. The taller girl furrowed her brows, Nancy Wheeler wants a girlfriend? "What?" She suddenly spoke up angrily, her eyes sparkling with tears. "What? Do you hate me even more now?"

"No, Nancy." Cora quickly shook her head. God, this is so confusing, "no! Of course I don't. I was just thinking—"

"Because that's one of my biggest secrets. And of course I just happened to tell you that, because— because you wanna know my other secret? Hm?"

"Nance—"

"I don't hate you." She admitted. She shrugged her shoulders before sighing, "never have, never ever. You know, I have a funny way of showing love? Steve... told me."

Cora watched her in confusion for a moment before taking the cloth from her hands. "Nancy, what do you mean love?"

"Girls aren't supposed to like girls." Nancy frowned softly, "everyone tells me that. It's a lot easier to pretend you hate someone than to love them when you know you shouldn't."

Cora stared at the girl for a moment, her breath getting caught in my throat. "Nancy, you're drunk—"

"You ever hear the saying... a drunk persons words are a sober persons thoughts." Nancy raised a brow, her eyes half open, "I meant what I said." Even with that slight confirmation that she told the truth, Cora still couldn't believe her. There's no way.

"What?" Nancy sighed, "what, you don't believe me?" She rubbed a hand over her face, "do you want proof, or something. Want me to— to prove that I like you?"

Cora tilted her head, "and how would you do that?"

Nancy giggled softly as she looked up at the girl before putting her hands on the sides of her face, "like this." She chuckled, pulling Cora forward, causing her eyes to widen.

Then, that's when She realized.

It turns out that Nancy was right. It is a lot easier to pretend that you hate someone, rather than to love them, especially when everyone is yelling at you and saying you can't.

All those times when Cora thought that she wanted to shut Nancy up by taping her mouth shut, it turns out she really wanted to shut her up with a kiss.

Nancy pulled away with a giggle, still incredibly drunk. Cora felt guilty for letting Nancy kiss her, especially while she was with Steve. But for some reason, she couldn't push the girl away.

Cora sighed softly as she let out a breathy laugh, "I hate you so much."

"I know you do."

—————
halo speaks...

this originally was the end but i'm adding more chapters, hold on