chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT: CAR RIDES

Cora showed up at Nancy's house bright an early, before walking to the door to alert the girl of her arrival. She knocked, waiting a moment before it opened. Nancy stood there with a half smile, causing Cora to send one back.

The taller girl led Nancy to her car, and opened the passenger side door for her. Nancy thanked her softly before stepping in, and closing it. Cora then walked around the front of the car and hopped in the drivers side.

The first few minutes of the car ride to school was silent, until Cora heard the rustling of paper. She glanced to her right to see Nancy staring down at a paper in her hands intently, her brows furrowed. "What's that?" She asked softly.

Nancy looked up to see Cora's eyes on the road, before she answered. "Oh, just some study notes." She shrugged, "I have a chemistry test." She replied. Cora hummed in thought, "It's Mrs. Kelly's class, she's-"

"A very hard marker." Cora nodded, "I know."

"Oh, have you been in one of her classes before?" Nancy asked as she glanced down at her paper once more, before shuffling around her bag to find a different one.

Cora shook her head, "no. I've just heard you talking about it before." She shrugged nonchalantly, causing Nancy to look up at her in surprise.

"Really?"

"Yeah, why?"

Nancy hummed, "I just didn't think you cared that much." She admitted.

Cora felt a blush on her cheeks, "oh." She mumbled softly, realizing she had just exposed herself. Nancy glanced over, noticing her cheeks that had been tinted pink, and how flustered she had suddenly become. She grinned to herself, realizing the effect she had on the taller girl. How did she not notice before?

When the two pulled into the parking lot, Cora quickly got out, as did Nancy. Almost immediately, all eyes were on them. Nancy brushed it off, as Cora glanced around at them. The shorter girl confidently walked over to Cora and closed the drivers side door for her, before pulling her into the school. "Nancy, this will just start more rumours." Cora mumbled.

Nancy nodded, "yeah. And that's all they will be. Rumours." She sent her a reassuring smile before opening the doors to Hawkins High.

Cora was surprised to find that she made it through the school day without passing out from the amount of whispers she heard. They seemed to be far worse this time around. Last time, Cora heard the hushed voices of people calling her names, but no one was really sure what actually happened.

This time, they were much more excited. Most of the students had either seen or heard about Nancy getting a ride from Cora, rather than Steve. They figured that it must be true.

Cora leaned against her car as she waited for Nancy. She looked up when she saw the shorter girl making her way down the school steps, and walking past a sad Steve Harrington. Cora felt pity for the boy, and mentally noted to talk to him later.

Nancy smiled as she stood in front of Cora, "I have an idea." She announced. Cora frowned at the girl in confusion. "But we have to go to my house."

Cora's frown deepened. "Your house? Why?"

The two entered the car in sync as Nancy began to speak, "I have CDs in my room, I can bring them to school for our car rides." She responded, "or I can leave them in your car, if that's okay."

Cora shrugged, "yeah, that's fine." She suddenly frowned even deeper, "did you never do that with Steve?"

Nancy hummed, "I could've, I guess. But he had a really specific taste in music." She seemed unbothered by the fact, too happy about being able to play her own music for once to care. "I hope you don't mind the music I like."

Cora smiled at the girl's enthusiasm, "I probably won't. I like pretty much everything." The girl's excitement only seemed to grow. Cora's smile widened as she started the car.

It didn't take long for the two to arrive at the Wheeler's house. Nancy practically dragged Cora inside; she greeted her mother before rushing to her bedroom. Cora was greeted with the bright pinks of her room once again, before looking down at Nancy, who began to rummage through her drawers.

Cora walked over to Nancy's bookshelf, brushing her hand along the spines of the books she owned, before pausing when she saw a long line of vinyls. "You collect vinyls?" She asked.

Nancy looked up and nodded. "Yeah, you can listen to one if you want." She suggested, causing Cora to smile softly.

"Don't mind if I do." She mumbled to herself. Her eyes skimmed over the vinyls as she looked for the one she wanted to listen to; Queen, Madonna and Michael Jackson stood out. Nancy's taste in music surprised Cora.

Cora pulled out a Michael Jackson vinyl, before walking over to the record player on Nancy's bedside table. She took the vinyl out of its case, before gently placing it down on the record player. Soon enough, the soft music began to fill the air.

Cora sat on Nancy's bed as she listened, deep in thought. She felt so guilty. She wanted to forgive Nancy, but she didn't know why. There's no reason why she should be forgiving her as quickly as she was doing now. No reason at all.

And Steve had been left behind by Nancy, and no one seemed to care. Cora sighed softly, deciding that she would speak with him after she left Nancy's house.

Nancy then walked over, sitting down on her bed next to her. She began to talk about all the CDs she would be bringing with her tomorrow as they went to school. The smile never left her face, causing Cora to relax slightly as she listened.

Maybe life wasn't so bad anymore.

-----
lizzie speaks...

nancy getting excited over music is my favourite