Chapter 4: Arcadia

Arnec looked around the bridge as the Zeti ship was in warp.
"It'll be about an hour before we arrive." Athena said with a sigh. Arnec sat down against a wall and smirked
"This wasn't what I was expecting."
"I know. Might want to nap or something before we get there, I'll try and wake you up if this hunk of junk doesn't."
"Alright... Just uh... I thought this was a destroyer? It's more a cruiser size." Arnec asked as he leaned back, closing his eyes as he heard the low growl of the ship's engines.
"To the Zeti it's a destroyer. My bad, I should have used the correct-"
"It's alright, Athena. We all make mistakes from time to time. No use beating yourself up over it!"
"I know, but... Never mind. Just get yourself some rest." Athena said, the sounds of the ship slowly fading...

-1 year ago-

Athena's eyes opened, the bright lights of the lab nearly burning as her eyes adjusted. Dr Starline and Tails were there, the fox smiling
"She's awake, it worked!" Tails said, full of excitement as Starline smiled
"Indeed... Alright Athena, how are you feeling in the new body?" Dr Starline asked, the two Mobians looking at her.
"It feels so odd, being in a physical form..." Athena said, looking down at her hands. Tails smiled
"Nicole had to adjust to hers as well, so don't worry." Tails said before a brown lynx appeared next to her.
"Nicole, is that really you?" Athena asked, the lynx smiling
"This came as a surprise for me as well! You look beautiful, by the way."
Athena smiled, her cheeks a light shade of red as the two looked at each other.
"As do you! Now uh... What are we supposed to do exactly?"
Starline adjusted his glasses
"I'll be handing you off to Arnec later. As for you Nicole, I believe Tails would like it if you stayed with him."
"Of course." Nicole said with a smile. Athena smiled too
"So... Are you sure I'm ready?"
"I know you're ready." Dr Starline said before holding out his hand, Athena stepping onto it before disappearing, Starline hearing her voice in his head
"So... You think he'll accept me? He's never worked with an AI before."
"No one has."
"I know, but..."
"You'll be fine, I promise."
Starline walked out of the lab and to a large office, a window looking out onto a large city in the shape of a circle outside. The city had late 18th century architecture, like something from a regal country with it's large stone buildings with metal roofs. Arnec, wearing a fancy coat with a vest underneath, stood looking out that window.
"Arnec." Dr Starline said as he stood next to the wolf. Arnec smiled
"Starline. What brings you here?"
"Just wanted to talk about something." Dr Starline said before looking out the window, some small corvettes and frigates flying over the city.
"Avalon's beautiful today..." Arnec said quietly, Starline nodding.
"So is it true that they call Avalon the "round table"?"
Arnec nodded as he looked over at his desk where Hugin and Munin were in their Raven forms, pecking the desk in boredom. Starline nodded back
"I have something for you. It's that gift I said I was working on."
"Oh?"
"Yes. It should help you out around here." Starline said before holding out his hand, Athena materializing on his palm. Arnec looked surprised but didn't say anything as he held his hands up to Starline's, Athena standing up and walking onto Arnec's hands.
"Mom...?" Arnec whispered.
"Her name is Athena, she's your new companion. Tails did most of the work with the whole AI part, but I tried to make her resemble your mother, I know how much she meant to you."
"Thank you, doctor." Arnec said with a nod, Starline smiling before excusing himself and leaving. Arnec looked down at Athena and smiled
"So... What do we do now?"
"I have no idea..."
"So what is it that you can do?"
Athena blushed a little
"A... A lot of things, to say the least. Hack stuff, tap into enemy comms, manage an entire ship's systems. Granted that last one puts a lot of stress on me. I can also help organize our military power for you!"
"That's a lot to take in." Arnec said before Athena disappeared
"Hey, where did you...?"
"Don't worry, I'm in your head."
"You can't read my mind, can you?"
"No."
"Probably a good thing." Arnec said before looking back out the window at Avalon, smiling a little.
"It's a beautiful city." Athena said quietly.
"Indeed." Arnec responded as he leaned forward, looking at the Vampyrs and ships flying over the city...