Chapter 8: Inversion

A/N: My apologies for the long wait. I try to have a chapter out per month but this chapter gave me hell and I'm not 100% sure I'm happy with how it turned out. Anyways, enjoy...

-Restoration HQ, former country of Costavia-

Sonic walked into the building, it being a former radio station. Some Restoration soldiers rushed by him, Sonic noticing some bandages on one of their arms with a blood spot visible. Tails walked by
"Been a while since you've been in here."
Sonic nodded as the two walked down a desolate hallway, paint peeling from it's formerly blue walls. Sonic began to think to himself
"Amy painted these walls a light shade of blue to help calm down any wounded soldiers that were brought in. Now look at it..."
He let out a small sigh, Tails turning
"What's up?"
"Nothing." Sonic said, dismissing the fox's inquiry. Tails smirked
"Sonic..."
They walked into the main area, Sonic looking suprised at the amount of people inside working.
"There were twice as many people here last time I came by!" he said, Amy walking by. She didn't say a thing, heading over for a desk. She didn't seem to notice Sonic, opening some folders that had been hastily left on the desk.
"Another town lost to Eggman? How many did we lose this time?" she asked herself. The pink Hedgehog sighed
"80% losses... Most just deserted... Why am I not surprised...?" Sonic stepped by her, Amy glancing up and mumbling something, Sonic smirking as his ears drooped
"Ames, listen-"
"Don't call me that!" Amy yelled as she stood up, both Sonic and Tails flinching. Amy breathed heavily as she sat down. Sonic heard her sniffle, him going to put his hand on her shoulder but getting a punch to the stomach. It didn't hurt too much physically, but Tails could see the pain on his face.
"A-Amy...?" Sonic asked, confused.
"You were supposed to save us..." Amy whispered, Sonic backing away. Tails looked over
"Sonic..."
Sonic looked around at everyone, them all staring at him. There was a near awkward silence, only Amy's sobs and the hums of old machinery echoing off the walls.
"How many of us have we lost because of you...?" Amy whispered. Sonic looked down, sighing as he remembered what happened in the Lost Hex.
"If life was so much easier before we met, why didn't you stop Eggman then?? You have the power yet choose to waste it on pacifism that won't work and will lead to even more death!"
Arnec's words stung even more now than ever. His eyes glanced at the Restoration soldiers, them being mostly teenagers with scratched up faces, bandages all over. Some wore glasses or had on leg braces... He thought to himself as he held his emotions back
"I want to be like you, Arnec... Be that leader that we need, but..."
He walked out, damn near holding back tears as Tails followed
"Sonic, what's wrong?" the fox asked, Sonic turning, his voice cracking
"Everything!"
Tails smirked, the two sitting down by a bombed out building.
"So what are you going to do?"
Sonic shook his head
"I don't know. I've tried so hard and yet I just can't stay focused! I get carried away, and... I'm a failure..."
They looked on the horizon, the streaks of jets going away marking the sky. Tails shook his head
"It ain't like it used to be with mom. It felt like it was so simple back then!" Tails said in frustration, Sonic nodding.
"It really did... How many do we even have left?" Sonic said quietly, Tails shaking his head
"Not enough to take down Eggman. Whatever shady organization Rouge and Shadow are a part of have saved our hinds several times before but I don't think they just love doing that! And the Principality of Solia can't do anything because Eggman'll just invade them and I doubt Blaze would want that! And the Silent Shadow... Well... I have an idea, but I doubt you'll like it..."
Sonic looked up at him
"What is it?"
Tails scratched the back of his neck
"Welllll, it's possible that Arnec's still keeping in contact with you and mayyybe he'd be willing you teach you some of the stuff he's learned? I mean, look at the Silent Shadow and how they turned things around when they were in a similar position!"
Sonic seemed uninterested
"Not a chance."
"Why not?"
"He hates me."
Tails rolled his eyes
"Have you even talked to him since that thing happened?"
Sonic leaned back
"Well, no, but..."
"All I'm saying, If I can work with Starline then you can work with Arnec."
Sonic let out a sigh
"Fine. But do you think he'd even be willing to help me after what I did!?"
Tails shrugged
"No harm in trying!"
Sonic smirked
"I guess you're right... Just... Give me a minute to myself."
Tails got up, putting his hand on Sonic's shoulder before leaving. Sonic continued to stare at the horizon, the sun almost burning his eyes before he finally looked away. The faces of those in the base stuck with him. The wounded, the young, the disabled. Seemingly all that's left...