𝐯. ✭ 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐄

AUGUST, 1978; CHANCE

Background Music
—————————————
-Stargirl Interlude by Lana Del Rey & The Weeknd-
⇆ㅤ ||◁ㅤ❚❚ㅤ▷||ㅤ ↻

"Baby Doll, you are gonna be a star. Grandma said with such confidence, that her attitude began to rub off on me. She tousled my recently bleached blonde hair. Fluffy curls bounced around charmingly, their volume had been created from the teasing she'd been doing for the last half hour. The crowd chatted noisily, waiting for me to step on stage. Grandma was kneeling off-stage with me on the left-wing, cigarette poked between her lips. Her demeanor had turned serious, holding my face with her smooth hands. "Chancie, you are it." Wisps of smoke curled from her lips. "You are gonna be what everyone wants to be. People are gonna look up to you, Sweetheart. You are a star."

"I'm a star," I affirmed, rubbing my glossed lips together. The Adrenaline coursed through my veins, jolting up to pound my heart like a drum.

Quickly, I fixed my cowgirl hat. It was cherry red, matching my checkered dress. My cowgirl boots peeked out from under the mountains of ruffles coming from the skirt portion.

"Star is in her name, Folks." The announcer boomed, holding his microphone as he jauntily stood on a podium. "She can sing, she can dance, she can act. Some would even call this young lady a triple threat. Now presenting, Chance Stargrove!"

With an enchanting practiced smile, I moved languidly onto the stage. My face perfectly painted for the audience, I strode over to the hot spotlight. Judges sat before me, delighted with the show I put on even before my voice rang out through the microphone.

"We have a few questions for you, Chance. Are you ready?" The Announcer grinned, his hair slicked back and matching his suit

"Yes, Sir, Fire away."

The audience laughed, loving the childish charm that came so naturally to me. Light rained down on me, displaying my pretty face.

"That's the spirit." Chuckled the announcer. "Alright, Chance, what's your favorite subject in school?"

"My favorite subject is music, Sir. I love singing." Although the words were well-rehearsed, they flowed as easy as the water did down a stream.

"And what is your favorite color, Miss Chance?"

"My favorite color is bright ol' cherry red." Beaming my answer, the crowd swooned. Their coos fueled my confidence, creating a twinkle in my eye.

"Ain't that sweet. Tell me, Darling, what do you wanna be when you grow up?"

"I'm gonna be a star."

SEPTEMBER, 1985; CHANCE

"You can handle keeping the store up while we're away, yes?" Jerry asked, halfway out the door. The keys he held dangled, almost dipping into the palm of my hand.

"'Course I can. Y'all have fun, don't worry. I can manage." I assured, stealing the keys away into my pocket. "Everything's gonna be fine."

"Alright." He nodded, giving me a short hug. "Thank you, Chance. We'll call you from Vegas when we get there. I'm sure you'll take care of my baby." Patting the walls of his record store one last time, my stepfather departed from his business.