𝐱𝐥𝐢𝐯. ✭ 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐎𝐍𝐄

NOVEMBER 8, 1977; EDDIE
12:04 a.m.

"Eddie?" Chance called my name out quietly from behind me. "Eddie, what are you doin'?" The ends of the blanket I had draped over myself were picked up. "You still up?"

I shifted around as her head snuck its way into the makeshift fort. She squirmed herself through, joining me under the soft blanket.

"Shhh." I shushed her, pressing a finger to my lips. "Don't want Uncle Wayne to hear. I'm just trying to figure out our first campaign."

Shining my flashlight down on the notebook I had been writing in, I pushed it onto her lap. Chance thumbed the pages, reading silently beside me.

"Eddie The Banished." She spoke my character's name aloud, settling her chin on my shoulder. "That's you...and that's me." Her fingers traced over the drawing I had scribbled out of the both of us.

"Lady Chance?" Offering the name made her shake her head against me. "Chance The Also Banished?"

"No."

An idea crept into my head. One that I knew would make her roll her eyes and shove me. It was perfect.

"Princess Chance." I cracked a grin in her direction, a snicker escaping me. "Chance the pretty little princess." My crooning earned me a girlish jostle to the shoulder.

"No!"

"Yep."

"Eddie, noooo." She groaned, shoving her face into the cloth of my sleep shirt. "That's horrible. Bleh. No one will take me seriously if you call me-"

"Princess." A thrill coursed through my veins, jumping into my throat. I liked getting her a little upset. Just enough to make her playful. "That's gonna be your girl's name now. I've decided. Princess Chance."

"No."

We protested back and forth until Chance shoved me over, knocking the flashlight out of my grasp. It rolled across the mattress. Her tackle melted into a hug and her warm arms grabbed around me tightly.

"Princess," I whispered, limp from her hold. She laid her head across my chest, her scarlet hair was messed up and pooling around my neck.

"Okay, Eddie Spaghetti." She countered, shooting back with the nickname she gave me that I hated.

"I am not a noodle."

Giggles brewed at the pit of our stomachs, bubbling up and out of our throats. Chance's lithe body shook against mine.

"Eddie, go to sleep!" Uncle Wayne yelled from his bedroom, his voice booming. "Don't make me tell you twice, Boy."

"Shhh!" Chance clamped a hand over my mouth. She remained tense until deciding that it was safe to relax again. "Let's go to sleep, Eds." Her knuckles rubbed at her droopy eyes. "C'mon."

I clicked my flashlight off.

MARCH 21, 1986; EDDIE
11:00 a.m. - 12:25 p.m