𝐱𝐥𝐯𝐢. ✭ 𝐒𝐔𝐙𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐄

NOVEMBER 9, 1977; CHANCE
12:03 - 12:20 p.m.

"You got the board?" Eddie asked over his shoulder, pushing his way into our deserted classroom. It was lunch and all the other kids were supposed to be playing out in the yard.

"Got it," I replied, balancing the D and D setup in my arms. Following him to the main table in the center of the room, I set the stuff down.

Our first campaign. I remember it very well, such a bittersweet memory. Eddie and I decided to have it happen during lunch. We thought that the quiet kids would come into Mr. Walker's class. We felt that they would be interested in what we were doing. That maybe they would want to join. That we could form a club of some sort. Something for the misfits to enjoy.

Eddie was tenaciously setting up the game pieces, a careful precision to each of his actions.

"It has to be perfect, Chancie. Perfect..." He said under his breath, his nose twitching. Humming a made-up tune, he scooped up the notebook he had written out the first campaign and sat in the chair opposite me.

"It'll be good." Sending him an assuring smile, I readied myself. The dice laid off to the side, its twenty sides shining underneath the harsh classroom lights. "I know it will. Just quit worryin'."

We commenced the campaign, sloppily venturing into the world that Eddie had created. Soon, other kids began trickling into the classroom, drawn to our table like moths to a flame. While they ate, they listened intently, periodically asking questions that Eddie would go off on tangent-like answers.

Jonathan Byers was pulled into playing. I pulled him down to sit beside me, getting giddy when he gave in to joining. Marietta Goldbane followed him, letting herself fall into the game. We weren't alone.

It was working. Our plan had come to fruition and Eddie was having the time of his life. I had rarely seen him so ecstatic. But then-

"What are you dweebs doing?" A grating voice asked with a sarcastic tone. I sighed at the sound, instantly crumpling over. The urge to hide our game burned inside of me as a flush washed over my skin. "What is this?"

"It's D and D." Responded Eddie, quick as a whip. He was so caught up in his excitement he forgot to filter himself in front of the nine-year-old terror that was Jason Carver. "Y'know, like Dungeons and Dragons. It's this fun role-playing game. You basically get to write the story yourself. Do you wanna-?"

Jason's hand slid under the board, flipping it across the classroom. Eddie's eyes followed its journey. I saw their brightness dull at the moment that the game pieces plummeted onto the classroom's carpet.

"Do I wanna play?" Asked Jason mockingly, ruthless as he threw the dice into Eddie's face. I could hear the plastic thwack against his forehead. I could see my friend deflating second by second. "No. Get out of my seat and take your stupid game away with you."

His head down, Eddie lifted himself up from the seat, looking like a kicked puppy. Marietta and Jonathan scattered away, diving to the safety of their own seats in the classroom with the other kids. I got off the chair, slumping to the floor to collect the broken shards of our campaign.

Standing out of my crouched stance with all of the things we had brought, I narrowed my eyes at Jason. Walking past him, I made sure that my shoulder shoved against his.