Chapter 1

I ran through the forest as fast as I could, not caring about the scratches on my face and body nor the blood dripping down my arm. I couldn't fight back, not with 20 people after me. So I ran. I ran without looking back. I was just focused on getting out of here alive. I hid behind a boulder, finally catching my breath.

"Find her! She has to be here somewhere! And find the other girl too!" the voice boomed.

I couldn't care less about her. After all, I'm in this situation because of her. I probably won't be able to leave here. I have to keep moving. I have to find somewhere to lay low. I have no way to contact anyone and I don't know for how long I'm going to be stuck here.

I was about to get up when I heard leaves crunch behind me. I made myself as small as possible and inconspicuously grabbed my pocket knife. When I felt the presence of the person, I quickly turned around and pressed the knife against them. It took me a minute to realize that the other person had done the same. I had to roll my eyes out of pure annoyance when I looked at the person's face.

"I'm surprised to see you aren't dead yet."

"I could say the same t-. "

A bullet whizzed past just a millimeter away from my head. I took a second to steady myself and started running towards the lake. I can only hope that my boat's still there and in one piece. I kept missing bullets by mere millimeters. After what seemed like an eternity of running I reached the lake. I hastily ran towards the dock and jumped onto the boat. I speedily started the engine and started driving. I almost reached open water when the boat rocked. I swiftly turned around and saw her.

"Get off my boat!"

"Shut up and drive!"

I drove the boat at full speed.

"Get off my boat, Celine."

"Just shut up and drive!"

I looked back and saw them following. Bullets kept flying by. The boat kept taking hits. I just hoped that they don't hit the motor-

Bang!

The boat began slowing down. I steered it towards shore. I jumped off and Celine followed. We ran as fast as we could. For a second they weren't behind us. I grabbed a rock, put it in my pocket and quickly climbed the tall trees and sat upon a branch and covered myself with the leaves. I noticed Celine did the same. I began hearing the leaves crunch and footsteps. I lay still on my stomach and held on to the branch to steady myself. I quietly reached for the rock in my pocket and threw it as far as I could in the opposite direction.

"I think they went that way!"

"Find them!"

Soon the sound of footsteps disappeared. I let out a breath of relief. After 10 minutes I carefully got down. Celine followed.

"What is your problem? Why are you sticking to me like glue? I'm in this situation because of you."

"Geez! Sorry. Do you think I like being stuck with you? Who wants to hear you nag all the time? I'm only staying because we have better chances of staying alive if we work together. The nearest town must be around 2 weeks walk from here. You can go alone but do you think you can take on 20+ men by yourself? If yes, please, go on."

I stayed quiet for a minute or so weighing my options.

"Okay. We'll split after we reach the town. And remember I'm only staying with you to stay alive. You are still my enemy. Don't expect me to be nice."

"I could say the same thing. We have to get a move on."

"Come on. Let's go back to the boat to grab some stuff."

We walked back to the boat. It started to sink. I quickly rummaged around to find things that might be helpful. I found some matches, a first aid kit, a few guns and bullets, a couple of blades, a big cloth, 2 bottles of water and a can of food

"We should get going."

We walked into the forest. Night fell very soon.

"We'll stop here. We need rest."

I gathered some wood for a fire and asked Celine to light a small fire.

I sat on the ground, tired to the bone.

"Pass me the water."

I felt relief as soon as the water entered my throat. I was worn down after all that running. After drinking I placed the bottle on the ground. Parts of my body were stinging. I looked down and saw numerous cuts and scratches. I looked through the first aid kit to find an antiseptic. I cleaned the wounds. I heard noises so I turned to Celine. She was struggling to do something.

"Would you mind applying a bit of that antiseptic on my back? I got cut."

"Do it yourself."

"Jerk."

"I am."

I waited for a snarky comment but nothing came. We ate a bit of the food and just sat in silence for 30-ish minutes. My eyes were feeling very heavy.

"Go sleep. We'll take turns. Every 2 hours."

I looked at my watch - 10:35 pm. I placed the sheet on the ground and wrapped it around myself. My body was overflowing with fatigue. I fell asleep rather quickly.

I opened my eyes and sat up, my entire body aching. I looked at the time - 12:16 am. I got up and stretched and saw Celine drawing on the ground.

"It's your turn."

She wordlessly laid down on the sheet. I sat on a log and looked around. I was on high alert. I sang to myself to not get bored. The hours passed quickly.

"Stop singing, it's hurting my ears."

"That makes me want to sing louder."

"Just shut up and go to sleep."

To be continued.

Thank you for reading.