Chapter 5

"Mei. Mei!"

I snapped out of my thoughts.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Let's keep moving."

I started walking but was yanked back.

"Could I ask for a favor? Please?"

I nodded.

"Can you allow me to love you? I promise I won't talk about it or act on it. Just let me love you. That's more than enough for me."

But I want you to act on it. What am I saying? I can't be with her even if she acts on it. Her eyes were tearing my heart apart. I just nodded.

"Thank you."

She lifted my hand, as if to kiss it, but stopped halfway and let it go.

"Sorry. Let's go."

We walked in silence, following the river, consumed by our thoughts. We walked until night and finally rested. It was extremely quiet.

"Go sleep. I'll take the first watch," she said without looking at me.

"Okay."

I laid down on the sheet with my back to her. A tear rolled down. No Mei, don't cry. You know this is the way it has to be. You can't be together. Firstly, you can't trick her like that. You can't use her feelings like that. You're a monster for even thinking of actually doing that. Secondly, You don't want history to repeat itself, do you? You can't be selfish and place her life in danger. Stop it. For once in your life don't be selfish. Lastly, you're probably just confused. You don't even know what love is. How could a killer like you love? I closed my eyes and tried to sleep but all I could think of was the kiss and the way she held me, the way her hands moved, the way she made sure I wanted it. No, no, no and no. I have to think of something else. I forced myself to think about something else.

I woke up to hear the birds chirping. I opened my eyes and was greeted by the sunlight. Did I not wake up? I looked around to find Cel but she was nowhere to be found.

"Cel! Cel! Celine! Where are you?"

"Mei..."

I turned around and saw her standing there. I ran to her and embraced her.

"Where did you go?"

She pushed me away.

"I never thought you'd be so heartless to do something like this."

"I'm so sorry. I know it's wrong."

"But you still wanted to do it."

"I'm sorry."

"I hate you."

"You have all the rights to hate me. I'm so sorry."

She disappeared.

"Celine!"

"Mei! Wake up!"

I opened my eyes to see Celine cupping my face. I hastily hugged her.

"Please don't leave me," my voice cracked.

"Hey, I would never. I'm right here. It's okay."

She kept patting my hair to calm me. After a couple of minutes I broke the hug. I noticed it was still dark.

"Are you feeling better now?"

I nodded.

"Mind telling me what the nightmare was about?"