Chapter 2

"Grandma!"

I woke up from the dream terrified. The moment from 10 years ago still etched in my mind. Sweat dripping from my face. The image still frozen in front of my eyes. I couldn't help but replay the incident. It's my fault. It's all my fault.

"Mei!"

"Huh? "

"Are you okay? You are crying."

"Crying?"

I touched my face and I could feel the tears.

"Are you okay?"  her voice was laced with concern.

"I'm okay."

I was breathing hard. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing, trying to remove that image from my mind. After a minute I opened my eyes and looked at my watch - 3:28 am.

"I'll keep watch now. I'll wake you up at dawn."

"Okay."

The cold air gave me goosebumps. I looked at the forest lit with the light of the fire. The light cast a few shadows onto the ground. I focused on the sounds of the forest. They calmed me down. I looked up and saw stars. I started climbing a tree. I climbed to the top and laid down on a branch and looked at the stars. Before I knew it, it was dawn. I climbed down and was about to wake Celine but I saw she was already awake.

"Come on, we have a lot of ground to cover. The sooner we get out of here the better."

Celine put the fire out while I filled the empty water bottle with water from the lake. I wore my bag and began leading the way. We headed further into the woods.

It was noon already. Thank goodness the trees provide good shade. Still, it was very hot.

"Hold on. I'm tired."

I let out a sigh.

"Okay. Let's take a five minute break."

Celine quickly sat down under a tree and drank some water. It felt good to finally rest.

"Guess you're more tired than I am," she teased.

"No, I'm not."

"Sure."

We sat in silence.

"What's your favourite colour?"

"Why?"

"It's boring and quiet. I thought I'd start a conversation."

"Don't. I like it quiet."

"You're very boring, aren't you?"

"I'm actually a very fun person for your information. I just don't like talking to strangers."

"What strangers? I've known you since we were kids."

"We've met once when our families met for the first and last time for that meeting. Anyway, why haven't you killed me yet?"

"I already told you. It would be too risky to go though this forest alone. Why haven't you killed me yet?"

"Same reason. Okay! We've rested enough. Let's get a move on."

"You still haven't answered my question," she said in a disappointed voice.

I started walking away.

"I'm talking to you! Stop ignoring me! Mei!"

I walked without paying heed.