Chapter 3

I wiped the sweat from my face. It's way too hot today. We walked the whole day without rest. We haven't found water but we did find berries. It was almost dusk.

"I'm way too tired!"

"I'm tired too but have a long way to go."

I looked around and saw something in the distance.

"I think I see water!"

"Where?" She asked, looking around frantically.

"Follow me."

I walked toward it.

"Finally! We-"

I shushed her as I heard something.

"I don't think they went this way."

"Probably not but we have orders to check anyway."

I looked around to see if we could climb the trees. Damn it! They don't have enough branches to climb. I grabbed Celine's hand and ran towards the water. It was a lake. I removed my bag and hid it near the roots of the trees. I told her to hold her breath. We got in without making much noise. I hope so.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"I heard something."

"There's nothing here."

"You're probably right."

"Of course I am."

We stayed in for a minute or so. I looked around and saw Celine with her eyes closed. I grabbed her and swam up. We got out of the water. I laid her on the ground and gave her chest compressions, trying to get the water out of her lungs.

"1... 2... 3...4-"

She coughed out the water.

"You're okay."

"Thanks," she said, still coughing.

She got up after a while.

"Oh great! Now we're wet! We don't have a change of clothes. We're gonna catch a cold."

"We could do something..."

"What?"

I let out a nervous chuckle.

Our clothes were laid on wood around a fire. We sat next to each other with the sheet covering us. It was so awkward. We were trying not to look at each other.

"Shall we play two truths and a lie? It's too quiet..."

"Sure. Do you mind if I start?

"Go ahead."

"I've broken my foot playing football. I got a teacher fired. I love pumpkins."

"The teacher one."

"No," she giggled. "The pumpkin one was a lie."

"Okay. I had a crush on someone but dated their twin. I've never been to the beach. I don't like dogs."

"The crush thing."

"Nope."

"There's no way."

"I had a crush on someone but I didn't know they had a twin. I had confessed to the twin thinking they were my crush. Turns out the twin had a crush on me. We dated for a week before I found out. I broke up with them immediately.

"Wow. That's crazy," she said, laughing. "Then the beach one's a lie."

"It's not."

"You've never been to the beach before?"