Chapter 7

We arrived at the hotel about half an hour later, and I froze in my position as the rapid flash of bright lights surrounded the car the moment it stopped. My eyes widened as the flashing came closer to the vehicle, and I felt my breathing hitch in my throat.

“Hey. It’ll be alright, they’re only outside, so we’ll walk as quickly as we can so I can get you inside, okay?”

I looked over to where Ritwik was sitting and found him looking at me worriedly. I nodded, answering his question before taking in a deep breath. “We should go. We’re already late.” I reached out to open the door on my side.

“No, don’t.” Ritwik spoke up, as I felt his hand pull mine away from the door handle. I looked at him in confusion.

“How am I supposed to get out?” I laughed, attempting to cover my nerves.

“Come out after me from my side,” he said, before I let out a small squeak as he pulled me over to him by wrapping an arm around my waist. He smirked down at me before releasing my body from his hold and opening the door. Shouts of his name instantly erupted from the photographers around the car, and I used the attention on him as a hopeful distraction as I got out of car.

We walked around the car to meet Ashika – a tall black haired model with flawless skin and chocolate brown eyes. She pulled Ritwik in for a hug before linking her arm with his and walking away, leaving me to scurry awkwardly behind them. My ears perked up as I walked past various reporters who were standing around the entrance of the hotel as Ritwik got interviewed by others.

“One of the biggest business dinners hosted yearly…”

“Business names from all around the country are making an appearance here tonight…”

“If you were here tonight, you’re classified as one of the most successful businesses around the country. That’s a big title, and…”

“… Ritwik Noon, with a new lady on his arm…”

“… Seems like Ritwik Noon, the current CEO of Noon Corp; has a new assistant tonight!”

My eyes widened at that statement, and I hurried my pace and put my head down, avoiding any eye contact I could make with what seemed like every news and gossip site reporters in the world surrounding me.

“Mishti” Ritwik’s deep voice murmured, making me look up from my shoes to meet his eyes. That’s when I realised that I was standing in the same position. I blushed and scurried towards his side, as he frowned. “Relax,” he whispered as he placed a hand on my shoulder in an effort to calm me down. “You’re brining attention to yourself from how rigid you’re being.”

My body relaxed slightly as I looked up and nodded at him. “Sorry,” I muttered, before following him inside the hotel and into the conference room that was transformed into a dinner reception, leaving the reporters behind.

“So how do these things work? Is it dinner first then socialising or opposite?” I asked Ritwik curiously. I expected to hear his answer, but abruptly stopped when Ashika came into view and blocked my path.

“I’m sorry, who are you?” she asked, a slight frown crossing her features.

“I’m Ritw- Mr. Noon’s assistant.” I smiled and put a hand out for her to shake. “Mishti Khanna. It’s nice to meet you, Ashika.”

She scoffed and turned away from me, facing Ritwik, who didn’t notice the exchange because he was preoccupied with someone else. “Ritwik, sweetie. Is this really your assistant? I’m finding it hard to believe her since she’s lil chubby.” Her nose scrunched up, and I felt my face turn red with anger.