Chapter 19

There are only three things that would force my body into doing any type of physical activity: (1) if I were doing it for charity, (2) if I was trying to prove myself to someone, or – and this was the reason that had my feet pounding onto the moldy pavements at 6AM – (3) if I was trying to avoid something that is fogging up each functioning brain cell within my mind and I’m trying to get away from it.

Or him, in this case.

I was kind of hoping going for an intense run at the break of dawn would somehow clear up the fogginess in my mind while also managing to make the whole Ritwik-is-in-my-apartment-snoring scenario just a figment of my imagination.

Unfortunately, once I returned home from my run and walked into my bedroom to snatch a few items of clothing for my shower, Ritwik was still sprawled out on my bed, looking peaceful as his torso slowly rose up and down from his steady breathing. My gaze lingered on his shirtless torso for a little while longer before I left my room and made my way to the shower.

I peeled off my sticky attire before jumping into the warm shower and began to wash the sticky sweat off my skin. How was I supposed to act when Ritwik woke up? Did he even remember what he told me last night? While I was able to recite the entire scene word for word, Ritwik was intoxicated. I highly doubted he would remember his ‘please come back and work for me because I really miss you’ speech, so I decided to stay silent about it until he brought it up.

I took longer than usual in the shower, savouring the way my muscles relaxed under the hot water, and was just about to turn it off when the bathroom door opened. My eyes grew wide with shock as Ritwik casually strode into the bathroom and made his way over to the toilet in the corner. I opened my mouth to scream but chocked on my shock before I snatched the towel off the rack beside the shower.

The movement caught Ritwik’s eye and I covered myself with the towel before my face went red with embarrassment. I turned off the water and turned to glare at him.

“What the hell are you doing?!” I exclaimed, wrapping the towel tighter around my naked body.

Ritwik snapped out of his shocked stare and groaned. “Don’t talk so loud,” he mumbled, before he began walking over to where my rigid figure stood. He stopped directly in front of me and smirked down at my flushed state. “Good morning,” he murmured.

I tried to cover my tomato face with my fiercest glare. “Get out of the bathroom.” I scowled, giving him a look of disbelief.

“No”

“Ritwik! I’m in here, you know! Naked, might I add!” I screeched

He chuckled. “I needed to use the toilet. Can’t you imagine this when we get married one day? You coming out of the shower – I would’ve joined you of course, which, by the way, I’m offended you didn’t invite me to join you in the first place.”

I groaned and opened the door. “Shut up and get cleaned up. I’m going to get dressed and make breakfast.” I tried to get rid of the blush that seemed permanently stuck to my face whenever he was around.

“Yes housewife, thank you housewife,” Ritwik called out. I could practically feel his smirk before I slammed the door shut and made my way back to my room.

By the time I had finished getting dressed and was putting the plates of breakfast down on the small island in my kitchen, Ritwik had finished from the bathroom and walked into the kitchen shirtless , making the spatula I was gripping fall out of my hand and land onto the floor with a loud clatter.

My eyes widened in shock and I quickly bent down to retrieve the utensil just as Ritwik began smirking as he caught me looking at his bare torso.

“Smells good,” he commented once I threw the spatula into the sink. I nodded meekly and sat across from him just as he dug into his meal hungrily.