Chapter 18

“I am not letting you work in a packaging office when you have a résumé made of gold!” Aisha scowled, shutting my laptop with vicious force before I was able to submit my online job application .

“But Aisha, it’s been an entire month since I became jobless, and this is the only thing I can find!” I whined, pouting as I looked at her infuriated expression.

“That’s because you’re an idiot who quit working for a billion-dollar company that was paying you freaking perfectly!” she exclaimed, calling me an idiot for the 28th time this month ever since I informed her of my new jobless status. “You should’ve just left the room instead of quitting!”

“And let him have the satisfaction of pushing me around?” I pointed out, feeling my eyebrows knit together as the memory of Ritwik’s lips against mine in Goa, along with all the crappy fallout that happened after, appeared in my mind. “No way! I stood up for myself – it was the right thing to do. Plus, I should’ve quit as soon as we kissed.”

“Ugh, Mishti! He was freaking jealous of the fact that the dude in the meeting was hitting on you! That’s why he was so angry! You’re an idiot for quitting!” Aisha scowled, glaring at my sloppy form from across the sofa.

I matched her expression before replying. “I get it! I’m an idiot for quitting! You’ve made that pretty clear! But it’s done and there’s nothing I can do about it. Ritwik probably has a new assistant by now – who he’s probably banging as we speak – and he’s definitely forgotten about me. What’s done is done.” I sighed in defeat. “Now, will you stop being a pain in my ass for like two seconds and help your best friend find a job that’ll help her continue to get through the expenses of rent and bills for the rest of her lonely life?”

Aisha's expression softened a little before she sank into the sofa miserably. “Fine.” She groaned. “I hope you thank God every day for having a friend like me,” she said, giving me a warning look.

“Every day.” I grinned slyly, sarcasm dripping from my tone.

She gave me a glare. “And I need to remind you – just once more! You’re an idiot for quitting.”

“Duly noted. Can we find me a job now?” I pouted, passing the laptop over to her cautiously, afraid she might attack it once again.

“Yes. Let me work my magic on the World Wide Web.” She opened the silver electronic device that was occupying the space on her lap. “Anyway, how’s Akash?” she asked curiously. “Still hasn’t spoken to you since that mysterious and very vague text message he sent you two weeks ago?”

I sighed as Akash's smiling face and short text flashed through my mind. Akash had texted me two weeks ago telling me he was sorry for what had happened with Ritwik, and that it was his fault that I quit – which it wasn’t. He also said that he couldn’t see or talk to me anymore, even though he really wanted to, because of certain promises he made with a certain jerk that I stopped working for a month ago.

“Still the same,” I finally replied, pulling myself out of my thoughts.

“I think Ritwik is super jealous that you two get along so well, so he made Akash stop talking to you since he couldn’t make you do it. Akash must really value his friendship with Ritwik for listening to him!” Aisha raised her eyebrows at me, and asked, as if in challenge, “Would you do that for me?”

I glared before scoffing. “Of course not. I hate you.” I smirked as her expression transformed to a look of shock, making me laugh. “I’m kidding. And stop having the whole ‘Ritwik is jealous because he likes you’ idea in your mind. It’s unhealthy.” I tried to stifle my laughter and give her a mocking grimace.