𝐈𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐂𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒
Chapter X

     "𝖄our grace, Count Deruth has called for you." Hyun Hee places down her half-finished cup of tea. It was not long since she awoke, and the sun was just starting to set.

     "At this time? Isn't it too early?" She asked, sleepiness evident in her voice. She sighed, "I will be there shortly."

     "The Count is currently practicing his swordsmanship in the field, your grace. He is asking if it's alright to discuss the matter over a friendly duel."

     Hyo-Sonn nearly fell off of her chair. Who talks while fighting with swords?

     "That's a peculiar way of. . . holding a conversation," Hyun Hee muttered in mild amusement. It wasn't often that a noblewoman is asked to a fencing match. Rarer for a noblewoman to even hold a sword, Count Deruth seemed to have made his research.

     "Should I inform the Count of your refusal then, your grace?" Hans asked, thinking that she would decline the invitation. Though, the Count wouldn't have asked in the first place if he knew that Hyun Hee doesn't practice swordsmanship.

     "Of course not, I will be there," Hyun Hee affirmed, finishing her tea before signaling for Hyo-Sonn to prepare her outfit.

     "Then I will take my leave, your grace." Hans bowed with a hand on his chest, Hyun Hee nodded.

——— • ———

     𝕳yun Hee ignored the stares that she was receiving and just continued walking. Honestly, is it too bizarre for a woman not to wear dresses? Unbeknownst to her, they just think that she's pretty even in men's clothes.

     "Duchess? What are you wearing?" Kang-Dae asked, catching up to them. Hyo-Sonn glared at him.

     "You expect me to fight wearing a dress?" Hyun Hee deadpan, walking faster than her normal pace.

     "Fight?" He asked confusedly, following close behind like a little child afraid to get lost in a crowded place.

     Hyun Hee's right eye twitches in annoyance, she could not stand this man. "I would really appreciate it if you were to stay quiet if you intend on being close to me all the time. Your entire existence makes me heave."

     Hyo-Sonn coughed on her knuckles to cover the chuckle that escaped her lips at Hyun Hee's brutality.

     "If that is what you wish, your grace." Kang-Dae completely ignored the statement.

      Count Deruth straightened himself when he saw three silhouettes approaching. His sparring partner, General Na, glanced in the direction where the Count is looking.

     There they saw Hyun Hee, wearing trousers and a frock coat with visible pockets, it had a sleeve wide at the shoulder and a straight loose line. Of course, her hands were covered in black cotton gloves.  Her face shows no emotion as usual.

     "Duchess, good day to you, glad you accept my request," Count Deruth spoke. General Na stepped aside so that the two nobles could take.

     "One could only be a fool to decline such polite and interesting entreaty."

     "Leave us." Hyun Hee demanded after General Na handed her sword to her. They quickly scurried off, standing to the side to watch. "So, what did you want to talk about, your excellency?"

     "You are aware that the crown is hosting a big event, isn't that right, your grace?"

     "Yes, that is correct. In fact, his highness, the crown prince has told me in advance about this." In the distance, both of them could hear the loud 'en-garde!'.

     Hyun Hee has suppressed an eye roll, remembering the his voice mails on the communication device about her helping him with the arrangements, to which she refused to do so, due to her busy schedule.

     She is sure that he could handle it on his own, he just wanted to see her personally and convince her to come back and work at the palace.

     "Even though you're no longer the royal advisor?" The both of them were already in their sparring stance as 'prets' was shouted.

     Hyun Hee made sure to properly align her feet and knees, her rear heel was a little raised, with the weight on the ball of her foot. The elevated foot would bring her into an attack mode.

     "That's right. Perhaps, his highness has gone used to having me around." Hyun Hee observes her opponent like a hawk.

      "Seems so, the two of you make a great duo. Though, rumors like to exaggerate your relationship, it is a little absurd, the gossip that is circling around."

     They lunged at each other right after hearing 'allez!' being yelled by the commentator.

      Hyun Hee quickly blocked an incoming diagonal slash, redirecting the attack by pushing the sword with hers then she stepped forward to counter-attack.

      Hyun Hee focused the weight of her body on her right foot before moving the sword back slightly, then she lifted her left foot due to the inertial weight of the sword and shifted the weight to the left side of her body, converting the strength in the swinging motion inside her legs and waist from the hands into power for the sword swing.

     Count Deruth stepped back to avoid the incoming assault. The sharp blade barely missed his shoulder.

     "I thought that it would be nice if you were to go with Cale, so the two of you could spend more time with each other."

      As a natural instinct, Count Deruth moved forward in a stabbing motion. This move is a terrible move that leaves you vulnerable to your opponent.

     By doing this, the opponent can attack your upper body with ease or step away and attack from the side as you lunge forward. Hyun Hee did the latter, Count Deruth found her sword merely inches away from his throat.

     "I'm afraid that the Duchess Dowager would not approve of that." Hyun Hee lowered down her sword.

     "Why ever not? I'll personally ask for her permission." Count Deruth affirmed.

     "Do as you wish, Count."

     "It's strange that you still seek the approval of Duchess Dowager, you are already old enough to make decisions for yourself, your grace."

     "I'm afraid that what occurs in our household is rather complicated. That goes for our relationships as well." Hyun Hee muttered, Count Deruth immediately understood.

     Even though Hyun Hee is the Duchess of House Il, everything still goes through the old woman, it is apparent that she does not approve of a girl of unknown origin taking charge of the Dukedom.

     "En-garde!"

     Lily Henituse was watching the next match with shining eyes beside her older brother and mother.

     "I wasn't aware that Duchess Hyun Hee is skilled in swordsmanship?" Countess Violan spoke.

     "Duchess Hyun Hee used to spar with the late Duke often, your excellency," Hyo-Sonn responded.

     "Is that so. .?"

——— • ———

     "𝕲oing somewhere?" Hyun Hee happened to come across Cale on her way back to the manor, she was sweating excessively and in need of a shower.

     "Yes."

     "Hm, be on your way then." Cale raises an eyebrow at the state that she was in, it was as though she had just run a marathon.

     "Yes, I'll see you later," Cale spoke, planning on having her and Choi Han acquainted since they've already met.

     It wouldn't be as memorable and interesting as the original, but it will do.

     'Isn't that suspicious?' Hyun Hee thought, watching the red-head as he walks away.

     Her shadow stood beside her, waiting patiently for her command. Hyun Hee turned her back, walking towards her room, she spoke in a low voice. . .

     "Follow him."