십구

𝐎𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐏𝐄𝐀𝐂𝐄𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐈𝐍𝐆
Chapter XIX

     '𝔗hat bird is a godsend.' Cale thought, he was walking next to Choi Han. It has only been a few minutes after Choi Han and Hyun Hee fought.

     He felt chills, literal chills. It was like watching two wild predators ripping the other's throats.

     'The Duchess Dowager would surely hear of this.' He thought. There is a reason why Hyun Hee projects a calm and collected persona, her actions are being reported to the old woman.

      Furthermore, her emotions are linked to her ability. Which is why he was surprised about her sudden outburst.

     Had they been even just a little late, she would've fought Choi Han using her magic. Cale noticed how she was holding on to the hem of her gloves upon arriving there, she was definitely going to use magic.

     Her flare-up earlier could just be because she was under the influence of alcohol, but Cale has another theory.

     'Choi Han really has the ability to pull emotions out of Hyun Hee. Not even the Archduke could make her loose her cool.'

     That's the first thing that he noticed between the two of them in the book. Hyun Hee is someone who is suppressing her emotions ever since she was a child, but Choi Han managed to anger her with just a few words, and return the verbal aggression. 

     The both of them could be provoked easily. The difference is that Choi Han takes action immediately while Hyun Hee always maintains her composure.

     In the novel, the Crown Prince even praised Choi Han from managing to make her shout aloud in irritation, claiming that he haven't succeeded in pushing her buttons despite having known her for years. 

     That's one of the reason why he has a lot of faith in the ship— only to find out that Hyun Hee becomes a villain and died.

      He didn't even read that from the book but from an online site focused solely on Hyun Hee. After reading a few chapters of volume five, he checked his phone and thought of searching her name, that's when he found her character wiki, and was inevitably spoiled.

     He stopped after her death, which was even illustrated in the wiki, and had a bunch of fanart— and continue reading the book.

     Now that he thinks about it, he should've read at least the wiki 'til the end. But it's not like he knew that he would fall asleep.

     After the bird had eased their quarell, Choi Han apologizes again for his false accussation, and Hyun Hee, after coming back to her senses, calmly accepted his apology.

     'These two would be the death of me, why couldn't they just get along like in the novel?'

     'Well, Choi Han saved her life in the novel. Would that have to happen in order for these two to have a decent relationship?'

     Cale could not help but feel anxious, his goal of bringing the two in good terms seemed to be bound for failure.

     But that can't happen, his slacker life is on the line here. Then, operation peace making is in session.

     "None of you have had injuries, right?" He asked after being silent for a while. He decided that their dispute should end here.

     "It was just some childish fight, both of us should've known better, we acted like kids. Cale-nim, sorry for the inconvinience."

     "Hm. Hyun Hee isn't someone who would act so recklessly, did something happen?"

     Choi Han looked down on the ground, thinking deeply. He noticed that she seemed to be greatly agitated whenever she sees him, he had the rights not to be nice to her when she's being hostile towards him— even though it was subtle.

     "I guess she just doesn't like me very much. . ."

     'Hyun Hee doesn't like people who kills, she must've assumed that Choi Han is an assassin.'

      "What about you?" Cale asked, halting in his steps as he faced the confused Choi Han, "What do you think of Hyun Hee?"

     "She's—" Choi Han paused, thinking carefully of what to say. After all, Cale is her fiance, "She seems like someone who is full of rage."

     It was an honest statement. Based on what he has witnessed so far, Hyun Hee seemed to be a boiling kettle, if you turn up the heat, it will likely erupt.

     That wasn't exactly the answer that Cale was expecting but he nodded in agreement. Choi Han's statement was accurate, Hyun Hee is full of rage— but doesn't know where to take it out on so it was bottled up inside her.

     It was right then that he decided to drop the bomb, he did not meet Choi Han's eyes and instead glance far away as if thinking deeply and pondering wether to say something or keep quiet to create a solemn atmosphere, "You and Hyun Hee suffered the same tragedy."

     Hyun Hee would probably kill him if she found out that he knows, and told someone else. But he was left with no choice.

      Operation Peacemaking, Mission 1 : Win Hyun Hee Some Sympathy.

     Choi Han's eyes widened at the unexpected revelation. He shuddered, as if a bucket of water with ice was dumped on him.

     He doesn't know a thing about Hyun Hee, which is why he now felt apologetic for judging her easily. He was under the impression that she didn't face any hardships in life since she is a noble.

     The events of that painful tragedy that struck him flashes through his mind and he started shaking in both anger and grief. 

      He asked in an unsteady voice, "Do you mean. . .?"

      Cale shook his head, indicating that he was not going to answer any of his questions, "That's all I can tell you."

     Choi Han nodded solemnly, Cale didn't have to tell him the details. What he said was enough for him to know what catastrophe she faced.

     'As expected, Choi Han would think about her differently after hearing about her ordeal, even more so that they share the same pain.'

     'They say similarities creates strong connection.' Cale thought of Hyun Hee and Choi Han getting along and suppressed a smile. He is confident that his plan will work.

     But first, he must secure his safety, "I shouldn't have shared that information with you, but I feel like it was necessary. I trust that you will keep this a secret."

     Choi Han nodded his head vigorously, "Of course! I will keep this information to myself, I've never been one to share secrets. I will keep this secret to my grave!"

     Cale deadpan, that statement. . . was a bit dramatic. Then he smiled, "Great. I expect you to keep your promise."

     Operation Peacemaking, Mission 1 : Win Hyun Hee Some Sympathy ; Success!