Eight.

Ripley
————

Grayson nudges me, seeing my mind going a mile a minute. He widens his eyes at me a little bit, as if to insinuate I should speak up and say what I know. I give a minuscule shake of my head. The moment I reveal what I know, we lose our leverage over The Ghost and everyone in the room becomes his target. A soft sigh leaves his lips.

My father, hearing Grayson's noise, turns around in his chair from where he's seated in front of us to look at us. His eyebrows furrow slightly before he turns froward again.

Alpha Boone's deep, gravelly voice catches my attention. "Maybe it's time for us to all go home. We are clearly easier to pick off all together like this," he muses, his eyes narrowing slightly as he leans back in his chair.

Alpha Connor of Howling Winds lurches to his feet, green eyes blazing and broad shoulders tense. "A couple days ago, you were saying The Ghost wasn't real, and now you're suggesting we all split up so we aren't a target? Why the change? I thought you didn't believe in them?" the young Alpha scoffs, glaring at the older wolf.

Alpha Boone's lips tug at the corners as if he finds the Howling Winds Alpha's outburst funny. "I was wrong," he states simply, causing Alpha Connor's jaw to go slack. Alphas rarely ever admit they were wrong. My suspicion increases.

Grayson nudges me again, but I ignore him, feeling him watching me and trying to get my attention.

Some of the Alphas mutter in agreement with Alpha Boone, and I hear words of fear being passed along like a rumor in a high school.

Silence falls upon the large room when a soft voice interrupts, his aura enough to command the attention of the room and the respect of the other Alphas. Alpha Jude's dark eyes are narrowed with concern. "I think we should stay here, together," he states. Despite it just being his opinion, his words hold a weight that not many other Alpha's do. "We have strength in numbers," he offers. "And hopefully with all of us here, the killer will stay away from our packs since it seems like he is only targeting higher ranks."

He turns to face my father and mother sitting in front of me. His head bows in respect. "As long as that's okay with you, Alphas of Wild Sun. I know it's a lot to ask." When he raises his dark eyes, it feels as if he's looking at me and I can't suppress a shiver at the eye contact. My parents voice their agreement. It's not hard to agree with the Alpha of Black Forest. He was oftentimes the final say in a lot of decisions due to his observational skills and his experiences. Even though he is the same age as my parents and several other Alphas, he is greatly respected and considered to be extremely wise.

With that, the continuation is announced to resume at a later date. All the Alphas break, going to their respective rooms. I'm not happy with it considering at every Annual Council, every Alpha is expected to reside on the same floor as the hosting Alphas. It demonstrates the equality amongst all the packs and the host Alphas' commitment to upholding the truce. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I drag Grayson up to my room, not saying a word. "Grayson, there's some things I need to tell you. I think I figured it out," I tell him quickly after shutting my door. He plops himself into my bed with ease, eyeing me worriedly and motioning for me to go on. With that, I spill the details of the night I first saw The Ghost and the details from the previous night. I leave out everything regarding the deal I suggested. I knew Grayson would see it as a deal with the devil. I did, too, but I needed my plan to work without interference. The fewer people involved, the fewer people would be a target.

"So you think Alpha Boone is behind The Ghost?" Grayson asks me slowly, pursing his lips.

"It makes sense. If he takes out his rivals, then there's nothing keeping him in check," I tell him, pressing my finger to my chin. He nods his head unsurely.