Chapter 17

"Everything okay Isla?" the strategist asked

"Ya, just got cut off in the pit lane by Ferrari" She said back "Can you tell me which driver it was"

"That would be Leclerc" he replied

"Figured" Isla mumbled to herself and took off down the track chasing Charles.

The entire time on the track Isla and Charles were fighting, passing each other every moment they had, the very last lap Isla passed him to take the lead after the last corner. However, Charles must have oversteered and spun out and crashed into the barrier.

Isla saw him spin out in her mirror. She inhaled sharply and exhaled when she saw that he got out of the car.

Over the radio she heard her team "Don't worry Isla, that was a clean overtake, don't worry. It looked like he oversteered out of the corner."

She exhaled but still felt bad that Charles crashed. But her feelings of anger towards him remained. He lied to her, and played her as a fool. She was so angry about that.

She drove the car back to the pit lane, got out of the car and was about to head into the garage to look at the data. When Charles stormed up to her.

"What the hell was that?" He yelled getting in Islas' face.

This felt a whole lot different than their other more intimate exchanges.

Isla just stared at him, she wasn't going to give the Media any fuel for their fire against her.

"Are you going to say anything?" He yelled and stepped even closer. A crowd started to gather, cameras flashed.

She wanted to avoid any unnecessary drama, Isla lowered her voice to a firm whisper and spoke slowly. "It was a clean overtake, you oversteered out of the corner" she paused and took another breath, "I did nothing, I just beat you" She said in the same firm hushed tone.

That tone seemed to set charles off even more. "That is bullshit and you know it" he yelled even louder. Isla had never seen the amount of fire in his eyes. He was extremely mad. "Why did you do that?" He yelled

Isla continued in a firm voice "I didn't do anything, You need to take a breath, before you say something that you don't mean" she said

He stepped closer and the fire in his eyes flickered yet again.

At that point Pierre ran out of the garage and stepped in between them. "Charles, don't do this"  PIerre grabbed his shoulders and led him off to the Ferrari garage.

Isla took a couple steps backwards and turned to head into the garage to cool off after the heated exchange. George came running up, and grabbed her arm

"Isla, are you okay?" His eyes locked on hers, he looked extremely concerned.

"You should really see if Charles is okay. He is very upset" Isla almost laughed. She was so overwhelmed and shocked that her only reaction was to laugh.

George put his hands on her shoulders and bent down and looked in her eyes "I care about you, I want to know if you are okay" He said

Isla could hear distant cameras clicking, she was starting to hate that noise.

She shrugged her shoulders making George's hands slide off her shoulders. "I appreciate it, but I can't do this right now" Isla turned and walked into the garage. George followed Pierre and Charles to check on them.

She passed the engineers and strategists and headed to the drivers room. She sat down and pressed her palms into her hands and cried. She was shocked to see the way Charles had spoken to her, the images from this morning and him kissing Charlotte flashed in her eyes. She hated this feeling. She missed him but on the other hand, hated the way he had made her feel and the position he put her in.

Isla knew what she had to do, so she headed into the garage, and found Heather.

"Heather, I need to clear some air with Charles, do you think I can go to the Ferrari motorhome?" Isla said quickly

"I think that should be done, but I will need to walk you in, I'll talk to his manager so it is all official." She said

They headed into the paddock and cameras automatically followed Isla and Heather through the crowd. They approached the Ferrari Motorhome, out of the corner of Islas' eye she could see Charlotte sitting at a picnic bench on the patio. She looked at Isla and gave her what felt like a dirty look.