Eight

The morning came by in an instant, I was awakened by my alarm clock and I opened my eyes right away. I got up and did my usual routine, dress up, eat, and then go to school. I saw Laine on the stairs, he smiled and handed me the book. We headed to class after the bell rang.

*             *             *

We picked the table near the door after we got our food, and for a change, I ate something that isn't grassy to Laine, instead of the usual salad, I picked a sloppy Joe. After class, we went to an ice cream parlor, I picked a Chocó vanilla split sundae while he picked a rocky road deluxe. We picked a table near the window, we like to watch the day as it goes by. "I'm going to the restroom," he said and I nodded. I gave him a mischievous smile, "and don't eat my ice cream!" He said a little exaggerating and I laughed but I saw a ghost of a smile in his face while he walked away.

I looked at the window while I licked the spoon full of chocolate but I jerked my head back as soon as I sense his phone vibrating on the table. I was tempted to look at it, but my conscience keeps me at bay from grabbing it.

But I did anyway, I snatched it and I opened the message. It drained all the blood from my face, all I know is I have to be there. I flinched when I saw the men's restroom door opened and I put the cell back from its place. "Hey," Laine said as he sat at the chair opposite from mine.  "Hey" I said back, my voice a little too squeaky, a dead giveaway. I gulped.

He studied me, he stared, narrowing his eyes. "Have you been eating my ice cream?" he asked , checking his ice cream and I chuckled "No I haven't,"

"Really?" he said sarcastically, "Then why are you nervous like someone caught you in the act?" he said when he didn't saw my nose crinkle (every time I lie, it crinkles, another dead giveaway). "It's just that I read something is all" I said and continued my eating, he still looked at me weird but he didn't push me.

We got separated  outside the ice cream parlor, I told Laine I was going to visit my grandma (She's dead and I don't know where she's buried or is she even buried?). He said he needed to be somewhere to, I immediately went to a boutique beside the parlor when his figure is disappearing from the distance and bought a ball cap, I'm going to Rey's Shack whether he like it or not.

I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A JACKET OR A coat, I shivered as the cold gust of the wind brushed at my skin as I walked on the front porch of the shack. For a shack, it's very big I contemplated as I looked around. "Who's there?" Someone, a female voice called and I stopped abruptly. From the shadows, I saw a silhouette standing on a corner.

"I uh, came here to see Mark" I said and she stepped out from the shadows. A girl around my age came to view, she was holding a cigarette, her left ear full of earrings shines from the moonlight and she's wearing sunglasses. At night? I thought. She dropped the cigarette and stomped on it. "You can't be here," she said and before I could utter a word she grabbed me by the elbow and dragged me out of the shack.

I thought she's going to stop there but she didn't, she even dragged me until were two blocks away from the shack. "Uh, why can't I go in?" I asked her when she finally stopped walking. "It's dangerous there" that was all she said and she walked away, "Wait!" I yelled and she stopped but she didn't turn around. I put down my ball cap and I stepped forward.

"Please tell me what mark is doing there," I heard her sigh and she turned around. "Leave or else I'm gonna go get someone," my hand shook a bit but I kept going, "I'm not gonna leave if you tell me what's going on," I said with much finality in my voice and she must have surrendered at it. Sighing, "I'll tell you, but not here, it's too risky. Someone might hear," I nodded.