Chapter 8: Unrequited feelings

N.B: This chapter is primarily going to be in Jimin's point of view...

Some years ago...

It was the day Jimin had chosen to confess his long-time suppressed feelings for Taehyung, his best friend since forever.

He looked in the mirror as he arranged his auburn locks properly to frame his pretty face, he smiled to himself, satisfied, at his own reflection.

He then took the handwritten note that he had religiously prepared Taehyung yesterday. Afterwards, he took a deep breath, checked the time on his phone before finally heading out for school.

+++

Taehyung was bristling with happiness. No, even happiness couldn't describe the wonderful feeling that bloomed in his heart.

He felt overjoyed, elated and fulfilled.

To cut it short, he was over the moon because his crush since middle school, Bogum just asked him out.

Of course, Taehyung had happily accepted, and Bogum had kissed him passionately as a sweet reward.

He couldn't wait for his best friend to arrive at school, he didn't have anyone else to share his happy feelings with. The happiness in him made him almost want to combust.

Jimin had sent him a message the night before that he wanted to tell him something and that had made him curious all night.

He was startled when his phone suddenly vibrated, and jolted him out of his reverie.

He read through the message with a smile.

Jimin was already in school but he was at the school garden, he also told him he had something important to show him.

Taehyung took his phone then got up from his seat before jogging down to the school garden to meet his best friend.

+++

Jimin nervously clasped the bouquet of flowers in his right hand and a packet of Taehyung's favorite chocolate cookies at his back.

He took another deep breath and willed his anxiety to go away.

Jimin felt his heart beating violently as if it was going to jump out of his ribcage soon as he saw Taehyung's silhouette appear.

Taehyung seemed to be in a very good mood as he was smiling and waving at him as he approached him, and Jimin happily mirrored his cheerful action.

Taehyung jumped on him as soon as he saw him, and pulled him into a suffocating hug. The blonde male seemed quite radiant and full of life that day and that gave Jimin more courage to confess.

"Tae, promise me that you will not let whatever I say right now come between us and separate us," Jimin began nervously.

"Jimin, you're acting weird, what's wrong? Anyway, I promise," Taehyung smiled, to which the former nodded.

"But, before you say anything listen to what I have to tell you first, Bogum finally asked me out Minnie! Oh my God! I still can't believe it's real, my life-long crush finally proposed to me to be his boyfriend!" Taehyung squealed jumping up and down, and instantly, Jimin's heart cut.

He felt like his heart had been forcefully pried out of his chest, and he felt desolated. Regardless of his heartbreak, he put on a fake grin, and theatrically gape his eyes to feign he was surprised.

"Really? Taehyungie, I'm so happy for you, congratulations babe!" He smiled bitterly. He really wanted to do nothing more than to go home, fling his bed cover on himself and cry for a week.

"I know right? He also gave me a promise ring," Taehyung smiled, outstretching his left hand to show Jimin the ring, and further crush his already-broken heart.

The ring was a simple yet beautiful silvery color that had a tiny diamond stone on it.

"He said it's a promise ring that in a few years time, he'll replace with an engagement ring, I was so stunned. I was literally just nodding to his words like an idiot, he promised me that he will marry me in the future, did you hear that , Jimin?" Taehyung squealed as he shook his friend excitedly.

"I'm really so happy for you babe, congratulations!" Jimin grinned. He was not lying about that, he was happy for his best friend.

As long as his love was happy, he had to also find a way to be happy too.

"Enough about me, you said you wanted to talk to me about something important. Wait, are those flowers and chocolate? You have an admirer now?" Taehyung gasped as he grabbed the flowers and box from Jimin, who was trying to hide it since there was no longer need for it.

"Ah yes, yes a suitor," Jimin nodded, mindlessly.

"Is he in our school?" Taehyung probed further.

"No, he's a college student, he's a friend of my brother," The former lied.

"That's so cute, Jimin. He must really like you to get you such gorgeous flowers and this expensive chocolate," Taehyung cooed.

"I guess," Jimin replied, awkwardly scratching his neck.

"So, what did you tell him, are you going to date him or not?" Taehyung inquired.

"I-I don't know about that yet, we'll just have to see," The shorter male laughed.

"Don't keep him waiting so much, he seems like a perfect gentleman," Taehyung said, poking his friend's arm.

How was he going to date Taehyung when Taehyung would never be his in this life? Maybe he might have a chance in his next life. Jimin thought.

"Let's go back to class, Jimin-ah," Taehyung said, interlocking their arms together.

"No, I'm not going for class today, my mum sent me on an errand. I just came to tell you about my admirer, I didn't come for class," Jimin lied again.

"Oh, okay then. I guess I'll see you after school then," Taehyung said, hugging his friend.

"Bye, Tae," Jimin waved at the other who also waved back at him, with a pretty smile.

+++
Taehyung thought about his best friend's gloomy demeanor when he saw him.

It was obvious there was something going on with him, he didn't look as cheerful like the Park Jimin he knew.

He resolved to talk to him when he got home after school.

+++
After going through the heartbreak he thought he would never overcome, Jimin picked himself up and started partying again like he used to.

He made up his mind to get over the feelings he harbored for his best friend and date someone else.

Hw dated a lot of people, he dated men and women, but he didn't feel anything magical or special like he had felt with the blonde.

He then concluded that dating was not for him and just started hooking up with random people much to Taehyung's utter disdain.

Taehyung had advised him to stop hooking up with random people, he told him he could get diseases from them to which he countered and told him he used protection.

When it was time to enroll in college, Jimin didn't know what to do, he didn't have a life plan, he just felt like an empty basket of hidden emotions.

Taehyung had chosen Nursing as his major after high school, so Jimin also decided to study Nursing too, he had the required grade for it, so he just went for it hoping to gain passion for it as time went by.

Luckily for him, he found passion for the course and then later went on to specialize in pediatrics because of his love for children.

If he couldn't have children, he could at least see them everyday when he went to work and have a reason to be happier. He had explained to Taehyung.

So, he just continued to care for his bestfriend from the sidelines and accepted Bogum as a part of Taehyung because he had no option than to do that.