Birthday

"He still hasn't showed?" I was standing at y/n's door, asking her where the hell her boyfriend has gotten to this time.

"Look I'm sure he'll be here. Plus I'm not even dressed yet, neither are you by the looks of it-there's still like fifty minutes till the party." She rolled her eyes at me.

"He better turn up." Truth is, it killed me to see y/n with him. He was always late; didn't care about her. He forced her out of staying at the manor like she always had out of jealousy. and the truth also was, that I liked her. I love her.

But I had to watch as she and poured her heart out to someone else, and yet, he didn't give anything back to her.

"Why are you still standing there Bruce? Gotta get changed??" I swiftly turned away towards my room. Y/n and I were best friends, until he came into her life. I was bitter about it, so she returned my attitude. 
____________________________________

Y/n's pov

I got changed into my dress. My hair and makeup was done, and guests were meant to start arriving in twenty minutes. He promised he'd be here two hours early.

It was an annual thing for my mother to throw me a massive birthday party, I hated fuss made about myself.
I was not excited for this party, and him being here would've made me feel a tad better.

still, I sat in my dress, looking pretty. My eyes pricked with tears but I wiped them quickly before my makeup could smudge.

The time sped by and soon it was ten minutes until I was supposed to arrive in the hall. It was a tradition to be there after everyone else, I'm guessing to make a big entrance. We have this huge staircase that takes you down to the ballroom, and I would walk down it with a man by my side- everyone would applaud. Usually it was my dad, but when I met my boyfriend, he walked me down. Of course he can't do that if he's not here.

Though I knew I had to be at my own party, I decided to stay in my room for a bit.

Then came a knock on the door.

"Go away mom. I'll be down in a minute."

"It's Bruce." I paused and wondered if I should let him in. I went to the door to open it, and he was just standing there. He looked me up and down, and stared. He looked in awe.

"What do you want?" I asked, slumping back down in my bed.

"I wanted to check on you," there was a long pause before he broke the silence, "you look beautiful."
I looked him in the eyes, my mascara running slightly.

"You don't deserve him. You never did."

You leaned your head on his shoulder.
"I've missed you Bruce."

"Me too."

He held out his hand for me to take. "You want to go down with me this year?"  He smiled and looked down at me.

I nodded and wiped my eyes.

"You're even pretty when you cry." I laughed and punched his arm.

we locked hands and left my room, making our way to the stairs. We opened the doors at the top and everyone turned to see us. They were surprised to see me with Bruce, and some of the looks on girl's faces were more than jealous. I just smiled.

We made our way to the bottom and everyone applauded. I smiled and Bruce looked at me with caring eyes.

"Want to dance?" He said, almost shouting over the music.

"What??"

"Just come with me!" He lead me onto the dance floor. He grabbed my arms and guided them to wrap around his neck. He put his on my waist and we started to sway.

I couldn't help but have butterflies. He's perfect. Every inch of him.

"I'm sorry about your boyfriend. He sucks."

"I know."

The direct eye contact we were having was making me dizzy and I was full with nerves. Why?? It's just Bruce.

He suddenly took my hands and spun me around. I laughed and smiled, I was having the most fun ever.

"Thank you Bruce.  I owe you."

"You don't owe me anything."

and then, things were happening fast. He raised a hand to brush a strand of hair out of my face, whilst switching his eyes between my eyes, my lips and occasionally my chest.

he leaned in, and I don't want to fight it. His lips touched mine, and we fit like a puzzle. I knew it was wrong, but it felt so right. I leaned into the kiss and ran my hands through his hair. He broke away, staring straight through my soul.

He turned his head, to look at my parents. They were staring straight at us, looking disapproving. They never really liked Bruce.

"Don't look at them. At me." I said, and he turned back to me.
"Do you want to know the truth? I've always liked you. It's always been you. Always. You're smart and beautiful and an amazing detective partner. But your parents.." he looked back over.

I cupped his cheeks and turned his head back to mine. "Who cares what they think. I like you. I thought you didn't so I decided to get a boyfriend to distract myself. I never loved him. I loved you."

He smiled and grabbed my hand, leading me out of the dance floor and into a random room. He started kissing me passionately, and I kissed back.

"Oh, and by the way, Happy birthday."