234. The Little Buns' Ambition (1)

“Weren’t you practicing your writing just now? Why are you all out?”

Bending down to pick up Tiewa, Ling Jingxuan asked pretendingly calmly. Of course the few little footboys would dare say anything, but the two little buns were different. The small bun giggled covering his mouth. Who knows what he is thinking? And the big bun held one hand behind his back and said solemnly, “Father and daddy are chattering by the door, how could we get down to our study? Daddy, it’s not that I am being nosy. We know you and father are good, but you shouldn’t publicize it during the day. You know, doing nasty things during the day is not good to the body, which would also incur people’s gossip and also is not good to us.”

Having read some books, Ling Wen also became sour. Ling Jingxuan got stoned there and was highly doubting what Chu Ci was teaching them everyday. How could he teach the little buns into such sour scholar type?

“Inner peace and you’d feel quiet. You can’t stay quiet yourselves, how could put the blame on me and your daddy?”

Yan Shengrui behind bent his finger and slightly tapped on the little sour scholar’s head. If he couldn’t even handle his son, how could he lead such large troops on the battlefield?

“No, no, no, father is clearly using sophistry. We are just some little kids. How could we hold the disturbance of the outside world?”

Ling Wen shook his head and stated his own view, making Yan Shengrui nearly suspect whether that is really his little boy.

“You taught him that too?”

Ling Jingxuan had a spasm of his mouth, then, carrying Tiewa, found a random chair to sit down, turning his eyes to look over at Chu Ci who were watching them battle for fun.

“I didn’t teach him that. If you want to ask for a reason, I’m afraid it is inherited, as far as I know, someone was also like this when he was little, often pissed off the tutor and made his mad. The record is changing eight tutors in a year. His senior got super mad and threw him out of the family, and it also made the number one bully in the capital, whom so many people proposed to impeach.”

While speaking, Chu Ci meaningfully turned his eyes to Yan Shengrui, while the latter put on the appearance of ‘I lost my memories, so I don’t give it a sh*t’, totally not feeling ashamed for his past, while Ling Jingxuan gave him a look with a grin. He had always thought he should be that kind of person who stayed poised and felt disdained to rub shoulders with anyone, never thought he also had such wild childhood.

“Uncle Chu, who are you talking about? Changing eight tutors in a year? Wouldn’t his daddy spank him?”

The small bun looked back and forth at them, then ran to Chu Ci’s side, with that little delicate face full of curiosity. Chu Ci and Chu Yan nearly couldn’t hold it and laughed out. But before Yan Shengrui, they dare not laughed too wildly, so Chu Ci tried to suppress himself, “Ahem…he daddy wouldn’t beat him, but just threw himself to his brother-in-law and let him discipline him.”

That was also the beginning of the bleeding love between him and Zeng Shaoqing , ever since he went to live in the duke’s mansion, the two of them immediately hit it off, almost bullied all children of those noble families and complaints could be heard everywhere, but none dare say a word about it. When someone finally reached fourteen, disregarding the late emperor’s objection, he went to the boarders following Duke Zeng. Finally those finally thought finally they could get their breath back, he won the first battle, and then served with distinction in the war those years. The late emperor was overjoyed and directly conferred him the title of Prince Sheng, and also offered Cangzhou and Yunzhou which nearly controlled all of water fortresses of the whole Qing Kingdom to him as the fief. Facing such a powerful and overwhelming figure, at first those noble family felt angry but dare not have any complaints, but now, they even dare not have any anger against him.

“Didn’t he have his dad and mom? Why ask someone else to discipline him?”

Totally not perceiving the faint smile at the corner of Chu Ci’s mouth, the small bun gave full play to his ability of a chatterbox, and began his one hundred thousand why.

“Hehe…because his dad was very busy, and had no time to personally discipline him, Xiaowu, when your daddy becomes very busy in the future, he may also have no time for you, so you gotta discipline yourself.”

Throwing Yan Shengrui a meaningful look, Chu Ci tipped his little nose tip, the memory of childhood is always good, even he also had a happy and carefree childhood.

“Heehee, Uncle Chu, don’t worry about that. I am well-behaved and wouldn’t piss you off like that person. You will be my favorite tutor forever!”

On his lap, Ling Wu gave a brilliant smile, he liked his Uncle Chu for he taught them many things they didn’t understand, and he also liked Chu Yan, because he always took good care of them like a big brother, in his innocent heart, he only felt that they would always be like this and never part with each other, let alone piss them off.

“I also like Xiaowu very much, but I am not your tutor. When your father and daddy make more money, you can ask some famous scholars to teach you. They are your real tutors.”

All he could teach them was some primers and the way to deal with the imperial family. The only people who could really teach them the art of statecraft were those great and respectable scholars.

“I don’t want any, I only want you. What famous scholars? I don’t give it a sh*t. Right, daddy?”

But the small bun reddened his eyes, turned to look at Ling Jingxuan, pouting. He liked Uncle Chu, and only wanted him to teach them, he wanted no one else!

“Right, the premise is whether our Xiaowu likes him or not. Studying so hard, one wouldn’t take the official career necessarily. One may distinguish himself in any trade. You only need to do things you like. Daddy won’t force you to learn from those famous scholars or what or top the list of the imperial examination.”

The so-called scholars were just a bunch of people who were profoundly learned but had no heart on their official career, to they chose to teach people. And the so-called saints, to those students who only aimed at their official career, it should be their blessing if they could take them as their tutor, because it could at least save them ten years for struggling. But Ling Jingxuan held some different opinion, or even felt kind of disdained about that. Those people had no heart on the official circles themselves, let alone know about the arts of being a good official. And what they could teach was just those things on the books plus a bit of their own understandings. Maybe it would be good for the imperial examination, but as for how to do well in one’s official career, he personally thought one could only succeed through accumulating the experience oneself.

“You’re not going to let them take the official career?”

Before the small bun opened his mouth, Chu Ci cut in. He had thought that he specially hired him to teach them only for their official career, but…what on earth does he want?

“Why should they take the official career?”

Ling Jingxuan smiled while picking his eyebrow, and asked him back. What’s the good of being an official? To be a good official, one would exhaust himself but may not win people’s praise, but to be a greedy official, one would live in fear all day and die young. If possible, he’d like them to live freely without any restraint.

Why should they take the official career?