Chapter 9: Alliances

The foot above them suddenly exploded and the manifestation crumbled. Optimus strained again, attempting to transform, but the rocks held him firmly in place.

Someone landed on top of them and pulled off a giant chunk. Optimus's eyes widened in shock as Megatron helped him out.

He transformed, Livia sitting on his neck cables. The Autobots gathered behind Optimus and Livia.

"It is rather ironic for me to rescue you." Megatron smirked. "Considering our last encounter. If memory serves, you were desperately trying to extinguish my spark."

"That option remains very much in play." Optimus replied.

"I would expect nothing less." Megatron said and he paused when his eyes spotted Livia on Optimus's shoulder. Megatron looked at Optimus and grinned. "However, I have a proposal. Join me in defeating our shared enemy. Unicron. The chaos bringer."

Livia looked back and forth between Megatron and Optimus's faces. This moment was so intense. A small buzzing came from Optimus's ear that sounded faintly like Ratchet.

"Because Megatron's pride would never allow anyone other than himself to rule this planet." Optimus stated.

"You know me all too well, Optimus." Megatron grinned.

"You lead an army on 'cons. Why come to us?" Bulkhead asked.

Megatron walked toward Optimus. "Because this particular endeavor requires something beyond the realm of my command."

Optimus resisted to step back as Megatron stopped right in front of him. Livia froze as Megatron pointed his finger at Optimus's spark.

"The matrix of leadership."

Bulkhead scoffed. "Then I guess we don't need you."

Megatron backed off. "On the contrary, Optimus may be the only one who can defeat Unicron, but I remain the only one who can guide you to him. Unicron's lifeblood runs through me. Only I know his thought, can anticipate his movements."

There was a pause and Megatron looked away from Bulkhead to Optimus.

"Our past alliances no longer matter. Not while Unicron lives."

"A truce between Autobots and Decepticons. How long do you expect us to believe that will last?" Optimus asked.

"Only as long as is mutually beneficial."

"And when our shared mission is complete?"

Megatron grinned, switching his view to the human on Optimus's shoulder. She stared back at him defiantly.

"Then I will conquer this planet. My way." Megatron answered.

There was a moment of silence.

"And how do you expect us to get to Unicron? Drive?" Arcee asked.

"There is only one way." Optimus stated.

Ratchet's annoying buzzing filled Livia's ear again.

"You can provide Unicron's exact coordinates?" Optimus asked.

"If you transport us to this planet's core, I can lead you straight to Unicron's spark."

"What about Alpha Trions books?" Arcee asked. "There must be another way than to work with Megatron."

Olivebranch immediately equipped her blaster and shot the ancient texts, earning yells of anger from the Autobots.

"You must all work together if we want to unite the Autobots and Decepticons." Olivebranch said.