05. cabin in the woods (pt 1)

━━ As much as other people hated it, Summer hated Monday. It was rolling around the end of November and it was just as cold as winter was outside. It was just a few days after Thanksgiving, which usually she'd spend with her grandma for once. Knowing her grandma could leave Earth any minute. Without her saying goodbye at all. At times and holidays like these, she'd wish she would melt. She missed Michigan a lot. All the kids at school were talking about traveling for the holidays, but Summer's family didn't have the money for that. And her grandma was too old to travel. Her grandma felt a like a mother to her since her mother would work all day long, getting one day off a week.

Within a week and a half, Summer knew where all her classes were. She shared two of her classes with Stacy. Nearly all of them with Steve, but if you had to be stuck with the obnoxious popular kid. You'd have to get used to it, no matter how annoying they were. It's not that she hated him, hate is a strong word. He was actually pretty nice to her, besides throwing around rude compliments. Steve was just snarky and kind of a jackass. Like all the time. Sure, she could've ignored him, or not say 'yes' to his questions. But she didn't want to be mean or rude.

She quickly seated herself next to him in class, since all the seats in the whole classroom was taken. Besides the one next to Steve Harrington. People were chattering from the distance of their seats. Steve smiled and looked at her. "So, it looks like we're partners for the research project."

"Um, no, we're not." Summer scoffed crossing her arms while looking forward. She laid back in her seat and rolled her eyes. Trying to seem to not care in front of him. "What project? I don't know about any project or heard anything about a project."

"While you were in the restroom, the teacher said that whoever we sat by was our partner for the project." He smiled and shook his head then looked up front at the teacher who was reading her book.

"And of course all of the seats are taken," she grumbled under her breath and took her stuff from under the desk. Then opening the history book to a person to do research on.

" I want to ask you something."

"Yeah?" Summer looked in his direction before looking back down at the book to read. Hoping nothing stupid would come out of his mouth.

"Would you like to hang out, tonight? It's out in the woods and I'm bringing along friends of ours. Stacy and one of my friends from another class."

"Why?"

"Stacy asked me to invite you because she didn't want to hang out with just me and Spencer. Plus you are a good friend of mine."

She was about to tell him that they weren't friends but she decided to come because it'll be a good idea to get Steve to actually help her on the project. And because she had Stacy's back. Always. " Ok, why not," she replied with no hesitation. Before turning back to Steve and asking, "Now would you help me with the project?"

"Yeah, yeah, ok."

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

After school, Summer rode her bike home and packed all the stuff she would need. She didn't plan on staying the night, she wanted to be back by 11:00 p.m. or midnight at the most. But she didn't know how long the project would take. She didn't know where the cabin Steve was talking about was so she agreed on getting Steve to pick her up.

It was around 7:00 p.m., and Summer stood underneath the old oak tree at the front of her house. She must've stood there for what seemed like thirty minutes, because Steve has finally pulled up in the driveway. " Come on in, we'll be late to finish the project before the other two show up. And be careful with my door." He said as he placed her bag in the back of the car. "Ok, are you ready?"

" Um, yes," Summer replied sheepishly and looked out the window as he pulled out of the driveway. Summer's parents were both working for the night so she got lucky and didn't have to ask Steve to park three blocks away from the house. Then have Sumner sneak out of the house.

"Do you have the stuff for the research project?"

"Obviously," she rolled her eyes. "Why are you treating me like an idiot?" She hoped for an answer. A stupid answer. Any answer really.

"Because you're a girl," he said jokingly and laughed. Then looked at Summer who had an angry expression. More of a calm angry expression, really. "I'm just kidding, you aren't." He laughed once more but he was being serious. Which seemed like a lie.
Silence. They both were silent, that was impossible for Steve Harrington. "How about some music?"

"Do whatever," she said emotionless. She stared out the window and noticed the trees thickening away from all the houses. Less and less houses were noticeable. It took her a minute to realize Steve hasn't turned on the radio.

The car has turned down an empty dirt road into a empty area with a single cabin in the middle. The sun beamed through the trees, reflecting little light onto the property. I'm the front of the cabin was a fire pit and on the left was a picnic table. The cabin was made from old slightly rotten wood and had a metal tin roof.

"Like it?" Steve Harrington asked out of nowhere from behind her in the distance, breaking the silence. Causing her to slightly jump and turn around. Steve laughed slightly, " the look on your face. We should probably get inside to finish the project before Stacy and Spencer show up. Besides the sun is setting."

"Good idea."